Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Clunking/grinding noise when turning.. Help!

Old 09-04-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L
Exclamation Clunking/grinding noise when turning.. Help!

As a new owner of a brand spankin new used 2004 WJ, I am new around here, and around Jeeps for that matter. So, after the first couple weeks of driving it, I noticed a clunking/groaning noise when turning left from a stop or slow roll. Generally it happens when I'm pulling into a parking spot, or onto a street from a parking lot or similar private drive. It feels/sounds as if something is binding up. Like my wheels are octagonal. It has become more frequent over the last few weeks, and happens less once I've been driving for awhile. But consistently does it after sitting awhile (like when I leave for work in the AM). My first thought was the differential. So, I changed fluid in both. Everything looked pretty clean, only minimal metallic matter in the oil, no bits or pieces of metal. No help with my problem though. So, I've started to look towards wheel bearings and CV joints. Which brings me to my questions... How much resistance should I feel when turning the wheel by hand? Should it take a fair amount of force to turn the wheel, or should it spin with minimal effort, like with my fingertips? Also, should it spin freely when I stop turning it, or should it stop when I take my hand away? I'm not getting any real wobble when I shake the wheel, however, there is some noise. Also, is it normal for any noise to come from the CV joint when turning the wheel by hand? I'm hearing a slight noise, but it sounds like the boot moving which I would assume would be normal. Any help on what to look for in my troubleshooting process, or other suggestions as to what is causing my problems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:21 PM

Here is a video that captures the groaning, but not much of the clunking... maybe it will shed some light for someone?
Old 09-05-2010, 05:11 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: V8 4.7

your lucky mine sounds like that all the time.
but that dont sound like a cv either
Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Model: Cherokee

drain your rearend, inspect the clutches and put new oil in. The one we have does that and a friend said he had to do that when he had the same problem and said he put a thicker oil in and the problem went away
Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

sounds to me like a wheel hub assembly or bearing i don't remember which that yr has. check into that or could b a axle assembly but if you change the axle might as well change the hub or bearing being you already have it apart

got a hub for around 60 and axle for 50 at advance auto
Old 09-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Crawler
drain your rearend, inspect the clutches and put new oil in. The one we have does that and a friend said he had to do that when he had the same problem and said he put a thicker oil in and the problem went away
Well there are no clutches in there, so that MUST be my problem!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 AM

i meant if you have limited slip.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

You might have a factory lsd like I have in my zj and when the diff oil went bad it it would grind when ever I turned. So I swapped it out with lucas gear oil and a lsd modifier and its been golden ever since.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7L V8

Do you have a limited with quadra drive? That's what I have on my 99 and it means that the 4wd is engaged at all times and is normal for the noise to be there. I took mine to the dealership and they said it was perfectly normal. I have never had any trouble and have always had it serviced. No worries.