Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Can't switch off ZJ immobiliser - have I blown up my PCM/ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Can't switch off ZJ immobiliser - have I blown up my PCM/ECU?

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle here...

A few days ago I disconnected the battery in my 93 ZJ Limited so that I could pull the VIC, which is dead. When I reconnected the battery so that I could probe the VIC's power connector it triggered the alarm system, so I had the flashing lights and "security" flashing in the dash, but I ignored it and after 8 minutes or whatever it is the flashing stopped.

Of course, once I'd put my dash back together and tried starting the car, it would cut off after running for a couple of seconds. I don't have the keyless entry fob. I've tried the turning-the-key-in-the-door-lock trick (in both front doors and the tailgate) and I've also tried the cutting-and-grounding-the-purple-and-yellow-wire-in-the-driver's-door trick, and nothing is working. The car will start, run for a few seconds, then cut out.

When the cutting-the-door-wire trick didn't work, I wondered that perhaps it wasn't grounding properly, so as a test I tried grounding the door wire by using a jumper cable to connect it to a known good ground on a bolt on the engine. When I tried starting the car that time, the engine just clicked and didn't fire at all. I disconnected the jumper cable and we were back to start, run 3 seconds, cut off - but could I have blown the PCM/ECU with that little trick?

This is getting seriously annoying now, and nobody on other forums seems to have any suggestions of things to try or things to check. Any ideas here? Please?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

there are 4 million Programmable components of a ZJ's computerized electrical system.. Whatever you did, needs to be "Reprogrammed" by the Dealership..

edit: Okay.. maybe not 4 million...

4 billion

or trillion..

been down this Yellow brick road... if you take the right avenue.. it gets you back to Kansas...
Old 08-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Okay, so you've had the same problem and so it's just a matter of a dealership plugging in and resetting the system?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Registered Users

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

well, if i cut the smartass out, i have to admit im actually kinda confused..

With me, When the BCM (Body control module) went bad, i replaced it with another one, but then the jeep would only start and run for 1-3 seconds and would then die.

Found out that the PCM,BCM,thisCM, thatCM and the OtherCM all need to be "Programmed" to work with each other, by the dealership, But i was under the impression this was an OBD2 issue, from 96+ so i dont know about your 93.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

to disarm your alarm simply lock and unlock your back hatch
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

I believe he said he already did that
Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 AM

Year: 94,97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

did you try unlocking the front doors or hatch with the key while the lights were flashing? after it stops it will no longer disarm it? it also will not disarm if the doors are open while u turn the key, or if the wires that u grounded are not connected to the key switch in the doors. try disconnecting the positive side of the battery for a little bit then reconnecting it. then while its flashing lock and unlock a closed door that the wiring is still hooked up to (if u have the wires that go to the key lock grounded good it accomplishes the same thing so your alarm might not ever arm and start blinking) but u should be good to start as soon as its disarmed
Old 08-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jonathanmaples
did you try unlocking the front doors or hatch with the key while the lights were flashing? after it stops it will no longer disarm it?
I didn't try disarming it while the lights were flashing, I just ignored it and eventually it stopped. Now it seems to be impossible to disarm it whatever I do. There are no flashing lights any more, even after completely disconnecting the battery (both terminals) for about 30 minutes.

Also, the courtesy lights don't work any more. I get no interior illumination when I open the door. The relevant fuses are all fine, so I guess it's due to the security system.

I'm pretty much out of ideas, so unless you can suggest something, I guess I've got no choice but to tow it to the dealership.