Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Cant Find My Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default Cant Find My Problem??

Well first off i would like to say thanks for everyone who chimes in on this. Ive been hearing this noise from underneath my 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo. When i was turning right and load was put on the left side more i found out my wheel bearing was bad. So i replaced that and hoped the noise would go away. Well i hoped too much and still hear the damm noise. Next thing i did was pull the plug on the front differential to find out the oil was dark silverish color. Popped open the diff and drained the fluid. Could see some how something caused the fluid to turn that color ( metal ). Had a mechanic look at the gears while it was open and he said they look ok. Put some RTV and sealed her back up with some Royal Purple 75W-140 as thats what the person told me when i went to go buy it. Put fluid into it till it started to come out and then closed her up. Still hoping this would fix my problem but yet again it did not as i drove off to hear the noise. Its a noise that sounds almost like a clunking sound. Where should i be looking next? Driveshaft u joints? Transfer case? Im tired of spening money on this damm thing already as i dont have enough to keep trying to figure out what the heck is wrong by buying parts or taking it to a mechanic here in germany who wants to charge me whatever is left in my bank account.

thanks,
Josh
Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Could be a pinion bearing or a carrier bearing going bad.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Could be a pinion bearing or a carrier bearing going bad.

How easy are these to replace compared to replacing the wheel hub assembly ? I really hope its something small. Im gonna try to go back tomorrow and put a stethoscope underneath to try and diagnose it better. I just hate driving this thing not knowing how dangerous this really is and how much its actually going to cost me if i keep driving it like this?? Problem is im in the army and i cant take time off work to go work on my jeep unless i have a day off ( Get the big green dick almost every day ). Another thing is this vehicle is my only means of transportation for me and my wife. So its not like i can put it into a shop to have it looked at.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 AM

I also got underneath the jeep and looked for play in the front driveshaft. I could not find any play what so ever in the rear drive shaft but there was some in the front. Is that ok so have a little play when turning it due to the fact that its not locked in 4wd? I know on my f150 a little play is ok when in 2wd. Also is it bad to drive the jeep without a front drive shaft if my jeep has the ability to be in 2wd and not 4wd full time? Im wondering because if i take out the drive shaft and realize thats whats causing the noise i really dont wanna keep it in there and cause further damage to some part ???

Last edited by mhockey9090; 11-22-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It requires special tools and a pretty big press to replace the pinion and carrier bearings. I would either have a shop do it, or swap in a boneyard axle. Shop around, and it would be best to have an actual gear shop do the work if you don't go the boneyard route.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 AM

Kinda hard to find someone around here to work on Jeeps sense all these germans wanna drive opels and bmw's... But i guess ill just look into spending my whole paycheck to get this thing fixed. Im already considering in selling the damm thing because i just really dont need to deal with this kinda crap while im over here.