Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

a/c compressor? bad bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

I was finally able to take my new 94 GC out to test the 4wd and after the first little puddle I started smelling something sort of like burning rubber but not quite and hearing a grinding sound. I found the source to be the a/c compressor. When the heater is on the pulley (main round part where the belt goes over) goes fine but the middle part starts and stops and when it is turning it kinda makes a grinding sound. Also when the heater is on (it only started this today) if I am sitting idling it almost dies. It barely stays running. When I have the heater off it does not have this problem.
Are the bearings bad? I can NOT afford a new a/c compressor I already priced them, can I bypass this with the serpentine belt and still have my heater work?
Also, I JUST got it back from the shop. The put in a new water pump, serpentine belt and tension pulley. idk if that helps any.

Attachment 70628

I miss my 89

Last edited by Dusty.Rose; 10-11-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

It would be hard to guess if its just a weak clutch or the compressor is trying to lock up. There are 3 pieces to the compressor clutch. 1. hub that is the front piece, it does not move when the compressor is off. 2. pulley, the belt is attached to the pulley and it moves whenever the engine is running. 3. field coil, it is a big electro-magnet behind the pulley and when it is energized it pulls the hub into the pulley to spin the compressor.

A weak clutch (field coil) can cause the hub to drag/slip and burn the rubber isolaters and eventually cause the pulley bearing and compressor front seal to fail due to excessive heat from slipping. The compressor could also be locking up causing the clutch to slip. Either way if you are lucky you might get by with just needing to replace the 3 clutch pieces. If the pulley is still ok, you might want to unplug the electrical connector at the front of the a/c compressor, this will disable the compressor for now until you figure out what you need.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Sounds to me like the compressor is going. If it doesn't do it while the clutch is disengaged, just unplug the compressor until you can afford to have it fixed.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

ok, so any idea how to unplug the darn thing? I tried Google searching it and there is a lot of things saying to unplug it but none with what thing to unplug and I can't seem to find a big red arrow under the hood. I think I know but not sure. also, could there be any adverse effects to leaving this unplugged for an extended amount of time? I have an LONG list of things that need fixed and only a small budget.
The only thing I can find that plugs in to this is this little thing...
a/c compressor? bad bearings?-jeep.jpg

On the plus side I went out again this morning when it was not cold dark and rainey and my first diagnosis is confirmed. when the heat is on (on any setting) it almost dies and that inside piece grinds off and on. But none of it wiggles...
Old 10-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Year: 2011
Engine: 5.7

the thing you have circled is the high pressure cutout switch. from what i can tell, if you unplug that, it will prevent the clutch from engaging. You can also unplug the clutch cycling pressure switch, which is located on the accumulator. the accumulator is a black cylinder, located in front of the coolant overflow reservoir, on the passenger side of the engine compartment. If you want to PM me your email address, i will send you the heating and AC section of the service manual.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

You could also pull the fuse. I believe it also has a relay you could pull.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 PM

Location: Bloodymore Murderland I am a Preacher of the Good news of JESUS CHRIST ,a Bad Actor ,Metal Bass play
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

On my 95 XJ, I power washed the motor 2 days ago with out the motor running. Now it is hard to start and makes a loud grinding noise from the A/C compressor . Do you think I killed the clutch bearings????? Can I switch a clutch out if I did or do I have to get a whole A/C compressor ????
Old 11-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Location: Bloodymore Murderland I am a Preacher of the Good news of JESUS CHRIST ,a Bad Actor ,Metal Bass play
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

Well Kids , it ended up being the ALT. So iam off to CRAZY RAYs to get one .