Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

budget lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default budget lift kit

i have a 2000 grand cherokee laredo with the 4.0 inline 6. i got a set of 4inch lift springs with the same diameter as the grand cherokees springs and extended shocks to deal with the travel of longer springs. so i want to put them in and save some money. instead of going to buy another lift kit. i just have some questions before i throws springs and shocks in this.

is there any thing i have to worry about? such as sway bar linkages changes of angles in the tie rods.

besides my springs and shocks what else do i absolutely need to buy?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

What did the springs come off of? You said you have a GC and you got the springs off of a GC and they are the same diameter. I'm confused. As for what you'll need at 4" of lift height on a GC...

-double carden front driveshaft
-longer front and rear sway bar links
-adjustable trackbar
-adjustable front lower and upper control arms
-adjustable lower rear control arms
-rear a-arm spacer

That should get you started.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

the springs are 4inch lift springs from a 91 nissan pathfinder for the fronts then the rear are 4inch lifts springs for a wj grand cherokee the pathfider spring i have for the front have the same diameter as the spring in there now so im just going to use those rather than buying new springs. i just needed to know what else im going to need to get to finish putting this lift together
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 PM

Good luck. Lifting a WJ 4" is NOT cheap and shouldn't be done on a budget.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Do it right or don't do it at all. Get rid of those Nissan springs and get some springs that were engineered for your Jeep. There is being cheap, but your plan is cheap and stupid.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Do it right or don't do it at all. Get rid of those Nissan springs and get some springs that were engineered for your Jeep. There is being cheap, but your plan is cheap and stupid.
For just a 2" lift is this decent from rubicon express?

2" Coil Spring Spacer kit
Bumpstop extensions
Precision-valved Twin Tube shocks
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jeepcherokee99

For just a 2" lift is this decent from rubicon express?

2" Coil Spring Spacer kit
Bumpstop extensions
Precision-valved Twin Tube shocks
They are just 2" spacers. That go on top of the original springs. It's cheap.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:04 PM

Year: 1996

So I assume you've done your research & have the springs all figured out. I think the minimum would be extended sway bar links front and rear (Rough Country has a bracket to extend the rear ones). An adjustable front track bar, or track bar drop bracket (haven't heard good things about front track bar drop brackets, but they're out there), a good set of shocks for a 4" lift. I think 4" is a little big for the stock control arms, but you'll find that out soon enough what works. You might need to drop the transfer case, but you can make your own (they're nothing but a 3/4"-1" spacer and longer bolts). Keep an eye on your brake lines... I have no idea on a WJ if they're long enough. As far as the front pathfinder springs go, let us know how that works out. Good luck
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by North_Coast_ZJ
So I assume you've done your research & have the springs all figured out. I think the minimum would be extended sway bar links front and rear (Rough Country has a bracket to extend the rear ones). An adjustable front track bar, or track bar drop bracket (haven't heard good things about front track bar drop brackets, but they're out there), a good set of shocks for a 4" lift. I think 4" is a little big for the stock control arms, but you'll find that out soon enough what works. You might need to drop the transfer case, but you can make your own (they're nothing but a 3/4"-1" spacer and longer bolts). Keep an eye on your brake lines... I have no idea on a WJ if they're long enough. As far as the front pathfinder springs go, let us know how that works out. Good luck
No transfer case drop needed on a WJ. It actually makes the drivetrain geometry worse. Brake lines are fine too. He will just need relocation brackets. Lets put it this way, the cheapest kit out there with adjustable arms is $1300. DON'T LIFT ON A BUDGET!! I'm on 6" and between the lift, wheels, tires, miscellaneous I'm $4500 in. WJ's are not cheap.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by aleet25
No transfer case drop needed on a WJ. It actually makes the drivetrain geometry worse.
I know a transfer case drop can lower your ground clearance, but at least on my ZJ and with only a 3" spring in the back my slip yolk was starting to pull out of my transfer case ... (not literally, but measurable, and he's going to use a 4" spring). Okay, now I'm going to feel really stupid here if WJ's don't have a slip yolk

In my opinion & experience, my transfer case drop lowered the rear of the transfer case almost an inch. My drive-line howled before I installed it and sounded better after it was installed. Three out four of the drive-line angles got better by dropping the transfer case. The only angle that got any worse was at the output shaft of the front of the transfer case and that went to a double cardan (at least on my ZJ it does).

By the way, my next rig is going to be a WJ, so i'm listening to what you're saying...

Last edited by North_Coast_ZJ; 02-27-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: fixed quote brackets
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM

Slip yoke in a WJ depends on what transfer case you have. I have a 247 and they dot make a SYE eliminator kit for that. WJ's are definitely fun to have. Best of both worlds as far as room and "luxury" plus offroad capability. Here is mine on 6" of lift.
Attached Thumbnails budget lift kit-image-2367771770.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by aleet25
Here is mine on 6" of lift.
Not to hijack this thread, but that thing's a Beast! Nice work