Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Broken bolt on thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Broken bolt on thermostat housing

Hello techs,

So I was replacing a cracked thermostat housing and while putting on the new one, one of the bolts broke while tightening. I tried using a bolt extractor but couldn't get a drill deep enough to get a proper hole. Other than replacing the entire manifold housing and disassembling the front of the vehicle, is there anything else that I can do to get this bolt out?

Thee image attached shows demonstrates where the both was broken.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:05 PM

Year: 60th Anniversary
Engine: 4.6

There are special bolt extractor sockets that use a roller type gripping technique. They usually come in sets and are varying sizes. I've had a lot of luck using those on studs that have a little bit sticking out like yours does. They look like this . There are also other non-roller type sockets that use something called a spiral flute. They grip by twisting onto the stud at a certain spiraled angle. Spiral flute sockets look like this . Both of those I've had first hand experience and work well.

There is a third technique that is my go-to when I'm stressed and that is welding a nut onto the broken stud and screwing it off. That simple but it's hard to get welder sometime if you're working at home . It can also cause problems if your not a well versed welder.

Got some other suggestions for you but the sockets may be your best bet at the current moment. Let us know what happens!

Last edited by 6Cylinder; 03-15-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:09 PM

So the grippers won't work as the head has completely spun off and the welding won't work at this point because the jeep is at home. I'd have to take it to a shop to correct. Was wondering if there was anything at home I can do, if not, I'd take it to a garage to have it dealt with.

Thanks for responding.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:18 PM

Year: 60th Anniversary
Engine: 4.6

I guess I misinterpreted the picture. Looks like it has a bit sticking out.

If it's flush and you can't grip then the only choices are to continue using a male spiral flute extractor, welding a nut on (cant do that since you're at home), or drilling the bolt out completely and rethreading with a helicoil. Other than that you could always take a HUGE gamble and try to weaken the hold the bolt has by drilling as close to the side of the threads then turning the bolt. This usually and most likely will result in damage threads on the intake itself.

Crappy position but it's still fixable! Just may not be much you can do at home.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 2000 4.0

1. Grind broken face of bolt so it is flat.
  2. center punch the bolt dead center
  3. Use a left-handed drill bit and drill into bolt
Bolt will usually spin out as your drilling. If it doesn't increase the drill size to get close to the threads. If this fails install a heli-coil.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

There is a new bolt extractor system on the market now, AS SEEN ON TV. It makes a perfect hole in the bolt for the extractor end to grip onto. I think it's made by Craftsman. The trick is it's left handed, as in counterclockwise rotation. Left handed drills work well, but are hard to find. You may want to punch it with a hammer to break it loose because the threads are stretched from the overtorque. Once you have it loose, sometimes you can remove it with a screwdriver driven into the hole you've already drilled.