Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Battery died, jeep won't idle after jump?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Battery died, jeep won't idle after jump?!

I have a 97 GC 4.0, auto,with 225k. I left the interior lights on last night. So I go to jump it this morning and it just turns over, if I bump the throttle it fires up and dies of I hold the throttle in any position it runs fine. I held it at about 2k for a minute or so and let off, low and behold it dies. No check engine light yet but I didn't get much time to look at it I had to go to work. Anyone have any similar past experiences or some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Also my display panel tells me bad coolant sensor although I replaced it last week.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

Not that unusual. Chrysler builds a pretty crappy charging system. If the battery gets too low, the things will not idle. Its also NOT a great idea to charge a dead battery with the alternator. Yes people have done it for years, but then smoking has been around awhile too. Either drive the thing to charge the battery, or take it off and run it down to the Autovancerielly store for a free quick charge.
Then see what it does.

"The alternator generates all the power needed to fully charge the battery IF the alternator does not overheat and fail. A dead battery will draw a very high load and stress the alternator to its maximum output limits and so I suggest you don’t run the headlights or other high amp accessories for at least the first 45-50 minutes of driving (charging). It will take (for example) a 70 amp alternator 0.85 hours (51 minutes) to fully charge a dead 60 amp hour range battery. I don’t know what your battery amp hour rating is or what the output amp rating of your alternator is but I assume your battery and alternator are suitably mated and so 45 to 50 minutes of driving/charging will not overload the alternator output capabilities as long as you do not add more stress on the alternator by running the headlights or other high amp accessories during that time."

Ron

Last edited by jronald; 06-10-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Cut and paste
Old 06-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

Cool thanks man. I have a battery charger so I'll charge it over night. Thanks again
Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Your user name is gay!!