Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

AW4 lock won't relase

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 PM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default AW4 lock won't relase

Hi, sometime the lockup in my AW4 won't release if i only release the gas, i has to touch the breake or shift into 3 to get it to release. If i stop the car (shut down the engine) and start again it works as normal. Its not often it happens so its not a big problem, but what could it be? I have new TPS. I think it happens when the car is hard to start and that i need to get a litle gas to get it to start, does the ECU sense the TPS positions when it starts and when i start the car with holding down the gas a litle it get wrong readings?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by pwb
Hi, sometime the lockup in my AW4 won't release if i only release the gas, i has to touch the breake or shift into 3 to get it to release. If i stop the car (shut down the engine) and start again it works as normal. Its not often it happens so its not a big problem, but what could it be? I have new TPS. I think it happens when the car is hard to start and that i need to get a litle gas to get it to start, does the ECU sense the TPS positions when it starts and when i start the car with holding down the gas a litle it get wrong readings?
any luck yet i have this exact problem also and cant seem to solve it. i just did tps, fluid, filter, tune up and no change
Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 PM
pwb

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Its not very often this happens, so i didnt do anyting with it. When it happens i stop the car and start it and then its okey. I have changed some vaccum lines that where bad, i havent had any problems after that, but i havent used it so much after i did it. so i will wait and see how it goes.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Smile

Originally Posted by pwb
Its not very often this happens, so i didnt do anyting with it. When it happens i stop the car and start it and then its okey. I have changed some vaccum lines that where bad, i havent had any problems after that, but i havent used it so much after i did it. so i will wait and see how it goes.
i think i fixed mine yesterday.. the trans kickdown cable, easy to adjust and now it shifts nicer. before i adjusted this it did it all the time now its back to normal