Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ANY '12 GC OVERLAND TRAILER CHARGING EXPERTS OUT THERE? (Can't find a straight answer

Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ANY '12 GC OVERLAND TRAILER CHARGING EXPERTS OUT THERE? (Can't find a straight answer

I have a 2012 GC Overland with the Trailer Tow Pkg IV
I am hooking up a Travel Trailer and am totally confused by al the mis-information on whether or not this vehicle comes with the trailer charge line already connected or not? (It should be the 1:00 position (first position on the upper-right) on female vehicle end of connector). It's also known as the Black/Red 12V pin.

I've been told each of the following scenarios (who knows if any of them are correct?):
A) It's already hooked up at the factory. OR
B) The wire is looped and tied under the drivers-side rear cargo cover. OR
C) All you need is to install a 30A fuse... OR
D) You need to run a 12G heavy duty wire all the way from the positive battery terminal to this pin on the female plug end. OR
E) Look under the Master Cylinder for a tapped lead that you bolt on to an empty terminal in front of the fuse block under the hood and install a 30 or 40A fuse)

See why I'd be so confused? Honestly, today I took it into Jeep for an oil change and asked them to make sure the 1:00 position pin was set for charging the trailer AND THEY HAD NO CLUE WHAT I WAS FREAKIN' TALKING ABOUT!

I'm picking up the trailer to leave in les than a week. I already order my own Tekonsha Brake Controller to install myself otherwise I'd ask the trailer place to handle the battery charge led issue. But now there's no sense in doing that if I hope to plug-n-play my own brake controller.

I really didn't think a pre-wired GC Overland with Tow IV would still have so many unanswered questions! I have to believe there is either is wire somewhere that just need be connected, or a fuse that just needs to be added, in order to have my trailer batteries charged while running - but man is it hard to learn the TRUTH.

Anyone out there know for SURE what the '12 GC Overland TT pkg IV has?...and what I need t o look for and do?
THANK YOU! Whew!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2013
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default Check the plug yourself with a testlight.

In my '13 Grandokee's factory trailerplug, the pin immediately clockwise of the locating ridge is live--that is, connected to battery positive.

If you don't have a testlight, are you skillful enough to install a system in your Jeep that has to do with the personal safety of you and your family members?

Or perhaps I misunderstand.