Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Another tranny dead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Another tranny dead?

I thought it was the transfer case, but I was wrong. I changed it yesterday and I still have the same issue, naturally it's getting worse. It had the death grind, but only once in reverse, and I was backing up an incline. Did it again yesterday, again it was nose down, backing on an incline. Headed home and I had lost 4th, then grinding in reverse in my driveway, which is flat.
I did some research and from what I found it looks like it's either the band for low\reverse, or a snap ring in the overdrive unit. Since overdrive is effected it seems to me that it's more likely to be the snap ring.
I did a short stint in a tranny shop a while back and am not averse to tearing into it, but it would be nice to have an idea where to look. If what I try doesn't work I'll be taking it to that tranny shop, especially since the owner owes me a weeks pay plus some interest so unless it's super expensive the work will be free.