Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Another 2002 GC 4.0 saved

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Another 2002 GC 4.0 saved

the symptoms where...
2002 4.0 GC stalls every morning when ambient temp was below 70 degrees, stalled always right after engine warm up and always below 70 degrees. Always started right up.
Went through a variety of sensors and PCM...then had several hard failures...would not start back up etc..
Finally broke down bought a crank postition sensor and crawled under the jeep....before I did that, I read about changing the CPS on different sites, watched youtube videos etc...so I figure a few extensions, flashlight, no sweat.....
When I crawled under and saw where the CPS was,,, I knew I was in for a fight...
Disconnected the trans linkage that is in the video, plus the drive shaft. The the CPS would not come out of the hole because of a clamp securing the fuel(?) line in place. Removed said clamp..

On the install I used a set of mechanical fingers to hold the CPS in place while I came in from the rear with about 2 feet of extensions...HINT for those who try this...I used 1/4 driv extensions as the 3/8 drive rubbed against the bell housing firewall and knocked my angle off...1/4 inch drive worked great...

another hint...before you route your CPS wiring....take some time and straighten the wire harness...out of the box the new harness will be coiled,, acting as a spring on the CPS when in the hole, thus pushing the CPS out of alignment...
Work the harness wires with your hand to more or less mold them to contour of the routing across the engine....
All said and done...was three hours of cursing..
this 2002 did not have the access panels below the dash

It was worth it..the jeep has not stalled and is back to its sweet old self..
Thanks for all the info guys....

John

Last edited by phantomfixer; 10-14-2014 at 08:34 PM.