Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Amp Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Amp Gauge Question

Hi all,
I am new to CherokeeForum.com and hopefully this is the correct format to ask a question about my 95 Grand Cherokee. It has the 5.2 V8 and is my wife`s war wagon.
I used it yesterday and noticed a slight sluggish start,but did kick in. I did what i had to do and in the course of the day had to start again with heavy start. When started and driving I now looked at amp gauge and noticed it running before half mark. Half mark is 14 . When I rev it will move up to half or the 14 amps.Shouldn`t it be running more from 14 and above normally. A more positive charge?
Batt. Terminals look a bit corroded.
Any help appreciated.
RedLgs14
NY
Old 08-30-2009, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Red

First thing, that is a volt meter. Not a big thing, but it has a different function than an amp gauge. All it does is monitor how many volts the alternator or battery is putting out. An amp gauge, my personal preference tells you whether or not a battery is charging or discharging, which is better information. But for some reason, you can't get an amp gauge that goes over 60 amps. Nowadays, it is common for an alternator to be in the hundred amp range, so we have volt meters.

14 volts is good, nothing wrong there. Your battery may be getting weak however and not be putting out its full rated amperage. I would suggest taking it down to an auto parts store and have them do a load check to determine if it needs replacement. But I would clean those terminals first. Use some water with a ton of baking soda in it. Pull the terminal and stick the whole thing in the solution till it stops bubbling. Use some more on the post, get yourself a terminal brush. $2.00 an finish the project and see if that helps. It is cheaper than a battery and should be part of your tool box.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

That gauge reading is normal for the ZJ.
And X2 on what 4.3L XJ stated above.

And Welcome to CF.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
First thing, that is a volt meter. Not a big thing, but it has a different function than an amp gauge. All it does is monitor how many volts the alternator or battery is putting out. An amp gauge, my personal preference tells you whether or not a battery is charging or discharging, which is better information. But for some reason, you can't get an amp gauge that goes over 60 amps. Nowadays, it is common for an alternator to be in the hundred amp range, so we have volt meters.
My preference is for the ammeter as well - but the voltmeter is typically used for simplicity. A voltmeter can get its reading without being directly involved in the system, while the full system current needs to go through an ammeter (or its shunt) to get a useful reading. I've been checking industrial catalogues of late, trying to find an ammeter that will read DCA up to -200-0-+200. Give me time...
Old 09-02-2009, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2

Guys,
Thanks all for the help!! I should have realized with the numbering on the gauge that it was a volt gauge.I went dumb. Oh well I was a body tech.I still should have remembered that one.
I just wasn`t sure on this Jeep proper range and thanks for the tips and help.
Glad to be a NEW member. Any Body help just ask!
RedLgs14