Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

air conditioning cutting off.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default air conditioning cutting off.......

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee and it has the push buttom for the air conditioning that lights up yellow when the button is pushed in and the air is on........ my problem is this........ sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, it may light up and blow cold for a while then it will turn itself off. I try and reset it by pushing the button off then back on and sometimes it doesn't work where other times it will come back on and either stay working or it will cutt itself off again. Is it just the button/switch? It blows cold and works fine when it does work. It's so tempermental I never know if it will work, not work or cut off on me. Any and all suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

RIZ
Old 06-13-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

It sounds like a short in the climate control panel or possibly a broken button. I took mine out yesterday and inspected the connection since I'm having trouble with my AC. On Ebay you can get a replacement in the neighborhood of $50. I don't even wanna guess the what the dealer would charge for a new unit. You may want to pull the climate control panel out and check the wires in the back. You can also open the cover and physically inspect the switches and buttons. The cover is held on by 4 small tork screws. If your lucky it may just be a bad connection or the switch may need some cleaning.

To remove the climate control unit: Pop the frame off around the radio with a flat object I used a butter knife. There are 4 areas it connects too around the frame. Using the same flat object slowly pull off only the top of the seat heater control panel. Unscrew the four phillips head screws around the control and pull it out.

Hope this helps.