Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

AC Clutch Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default AC Clutch Issues!

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee, inline six, and I live in TN, where it is too hot. Decided I would start working on the AC today. Replaced refridgerant using those 18oz cans with gauge on the hose. Filled it to recommended psi. AC clutch would not engage, so I had to manually do it. Went to fuse box, found big black AC CLUTCH fuse, relay block. removed it. ran wire from positive battery terminal, cut on jeep, fan on high, turned on ac, went back to engine bay, placed other end of wire from battery to the prong holes the AC clutch fuse was in and BOOM clutch engaged. Let it spin for awhile, got in car. air was cool. not cold. so i put a bit more refridg in it. and noticed on the gauge it was a bit over the recommended psi. turned jeep off. replaced fuse. turned on jeep. NOW heres my issue. clutch will cut on for five seconds. cut off for five seconds. on for five, off for five. there is no continuity its just constantly doing that. asked an engineer friend and he said sounds like it needs more refridg, thats when I noticed it had more than recommended amount so I wasn't going to put more in. any suggestions at all?!?@!?@@?!Q?@!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default AC Clutch Issues!

You should be filling it with it running at max which will drop the pressure on the low side greatly.

Max sure your refrigerant has oil in it or add more to make sure the compressor doesn't kill itself.