Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ABS kicks in for no reason, please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2006
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default ABS kicks in for no reason, please HELP!

Hey guys,

I am new here and this is my first issue with my 2006 Grand Cherokee Loredo 4.7L which I bought last November. Any help would be very appreciated.

Ok so I have this issue that for absolutely no reason my ABS kicks in while just trying to apply brakes. It doesn't matter if I apply brakes hard, soft, quick or slow. It just seems to have a mind of its own. The road conditions are dry most the time but that doesn't seem to matter either. There are no warning lights that stay on. Sometimes traction control, ABS and check 4wd system lights come on but they go off in less than a minute and don't come back for a long time. I am really puzzled on what the issue might be. I have read some things online already about it and people say that it could be anywhere from brake light switch to ABS sensor, to speed sensor and so on. I am just afraid my brakes will stop working period and I would like to avoid going to a dealer since the money issue is kind of tight right now.

Before this started happening, I had once my check engine light come on and the tranny went into limp mode on my way to a hockey game. After I played hockey, the tranny went back to normal mode but the check engine light stayed on, I disconnected the battery to reset it just to see if it comes back later and it never did. The tranny has been fine ever since.

Also, my rear brake light burned out before that and I just recently replaced. I do not know if this has anything to do with that but thought I'd mention.

Could bad brake pads cause this? Should I maybe take off the wheels and check brakes and try to clean the sensors? Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

not brake pads, are u sure it is the abs, and not the rotors being warped? If it was a wheel speed sensor the light would come on right away. If it was the module I am sure it would be on. what speed does it do it?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2006
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
not brake pads, are u sure it is the abs, and not the rotors being warped? If it was a wheel speed sensor the light would come on right away. If it was the module I am sure it would be on. what speed does it do it?
It happens at all different speeds. Highway, apartment complex, regular city roads.

Yes, I am sure it is the ABS because it kicks back at me like an ABS and it produces the sound of ABS. Worn out rotors would vibrate all over but nothing like that happens right now. So, I am just really puzzled here. Like I said it is like it has a mind of its own. It kicks in whenever it feels like it.