Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 WJ Limited 4.7 Injector fuse, p1389, ASD, no fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 WJ Limited 4.7 Injector fuse, p1389, ASD, no fire

Good morning everyone, I appreciate you reading this and bear with me I've had quite the battle with my POS the past few days.

So Monday my Alternator went out, I got it fixed up and back on the road on Tuesday. About 5 miles down the road the turd shuts down throwing the p1389 code “No ASD relay output voltage at PCM” cranks but will not fire. Ok fine started with the basics and swapped the relay, no change. Checked all the fuses, nothing blown. Checked all the grounds initially everything looked fine. Pulled the battery cables reset everything, no more p1389 still cranks won’t fire but new code p1495 leak detection pump solenoid circuit. Unplugged cleaned cleared code plugged back in. Now my reader isn’t showing anything but the dash shows p1388 back to the ASD. Gave up for the night got some rest.

Wednesday, I disconnected the battery and changed out the crankshaft positioning sensor. Reconnected the battery went to start it and initially it tried to fire but blew out the injector fuse but didn't throw a code. Put in another fuse turned key to on position but did not attempt to start fuse immediately blew regardless. Left key on wiggle injectors and wiring put 20 amp fuse in blew immediately. Wiggled again but another 20 amp in fuse didn't blow this time tried to crank won't fire and am throwing the p1389 ASD code again.

I'm stumped and don't know where to look from here and its my daily driver and I need it back up asap. Any help is appreciated and I'll somehow throw in a 12 pack to whoever figures it out lol. I'm not the most electrical savvy but if someone can give me a good guideline I can usually figure it out.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I think referring to your jeep as a POS and a turd may not garner much interest from some Jeep owners here.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:59 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Try cleaning/inspecting the 3 plugs on the PCM. IDK if this helps but the injectors are hot all the time with the ASD relay engaged and they are signaled to flow by drivers in the PCM grounding them. Check for pinched wires from the injectors to the PCM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:31 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I’ll check out the plugs on the pcm today. Possibly going to throw a jumper wire in place of the relay as well to see if it will even attempt to fire.

As for the comment about calling my Jeep a turd or a pos first I’ve been on this site for a long time and just about every troubleshooting thread with a pissed off Jeep owner that can’t figure out how to fix their vehicle and get back on the road has called their Jeep just about every name in the book. Second, if you don’t like it then move along and don’t comment but at least I’m not spelling out every word or using profanity every other word I said turd once and pos once. I’m in a bad mood because my daily is down. Third, if you’re just trolling or purposely trying to be a smart aleck instead of helping me fix my issue then I will simply and respectfully tell you to move along and stop wasting my time.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:19 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7

I agree about having some choice words for my wj too! Did you ever narrow down what was causing asd codes? Mine was starting and driving fine but needed a head gasket. I did that job myself for lack of affordable and compitant mechanics in my area and now that I have it all back together I'm having the same issues you've described. Any leads in a direction to go would be awesome.