Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 Grand Cherokee 4.7. Jeep just dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 Grand Cherokee 4.7. Jeep just dies

Good evening everybody I have a huge problem I hope I can get some help with because I'm at my Wit's End and don't know what else to try oh, I have a 99 Grand Cherokee limited with a 4.7 164000 miles on it the truck has been running perfect it has not had any issues at all regular maintenance. About three months ago the truck would just randomly die in traffic when my wife was driving with my kid in the backseat so I switched vehicles and started to diagnose the problem the best I could I've had it at two separate trusted mechanics even went as far as to go to the local dealership to see if maybe they could help it does not throw any codes whatsoever and they could not diagnose an issue, I have replaced the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor the battery is new with the alternator is new, and basic diagnosis everything is operating as it should. Now when it dies it can be when I turn the truck off and it just not restart or it will actually die while you're driving down the road, the truck shuts down the radio will stay on the lights will stay on but when you go to turn the key the fuel gauge the battery gauge and the temperature gauge will not function they will not move the starter will attempt to kick over but the engine will not start if you wait 10 to 15 minutes the truck will start up, like I said it's been a very sporadic issue I don't know what else to do hopefully somebody has experienced this and can help me I don't want to get rid of my Jeep
Old 02-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

If you didn't use MOPAR sensors, that could be your problem right there. A decent mechanic should be able to determine if the PCM is sending information. If it is the PCM. My advice would be to avoid the so-called aftermarket rebuilders and get a MOPAR from the local dealership. It will be expensive but go to YELP and look at the reviews for the aftermarket companies. VERY few customers have anything positive to say. Typically when the PCM fails, it does exactly what you are describing. The stalling will increase over time in ever decreasing intervals and it will take longer for it to re-start. Try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes the next time it stalls. That will clear the PCM and it should start. If it stalls again, my bet would be the PCM but like I said. A good mechanic should know if the PCM is working or not.