Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 A/C cutting off. Full charge 134a.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: v8
Default 99 A/C cutting off. Full charge 134a.

Using my fill gauge, it starts off at the "off the scale" position until the compressor kicks on. The pressure drops to about 60-70 psi and the compressor kicks out. I jumped the low pressure switch. I also sprayed the condenser with the hose, no change in symptoms.

I'm scratching my head here on where to even begin looking.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Your description has me very confused . Your pressure on high or low side is pegged before compressor kicks on ? And it drops to 60-70 as a pressure when it kicks on or it drops BY 60-70 when it kicks on ? What are pressures on both sides before and after compressor is kicked on ?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

I am just measuring on the low side right now. Presumably they are equal when the system is static (it's 100psi or so static).

When the compressor starts, the low side pressure drops down to 60-70psi and then the compressor drops out(eta) within seconds. The pressure then rises back to approx. 100psi for a few seconds, then the compressor starts again. Rinse/repeat.

Last edited by rangermonroe; 06-19-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by rangermonroe
I am just measuring on the low side right now. Presumably they are equal when the system is static (it's 100psi or so static).

When the compressor starts, the low side pressure drops down to 60-70psi and then the compressor drops out(eta) within seconds. The pressure then rises back to approx. 100psi for a few seconds, then the compressor starts again. Rinse/repeat.
It will do that when you're adding freon until it sucks it in when compressor pulls it down but if you're hitting 100 on low side I would like to hear high side
preasures before giving any advice
Old 06-19-2017, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Are you just trying to top off or troubleshoot your issue. Did you try getting a vacuum and refilling the system new or ate you using one of those little cans and hoses from those
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Seasoned Member

I am just using the can/pressure gauge as a gauge. I am not adding any freon during this time. The can is closed.

Due to it's behavior, I assumed it was low, but it is obviously not.

Once again, I am not adding any gas, I am just reporting the gauge readings as I am connected to the low side.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17
It will do that when you're adding freon until it sucks it in when compressor pulls it down but if you're hitting 100 on low side I would like to hear high side
preasures before giving any advice

It's my daughters car (ie, not here now) and I didn't have time to hook up the manifold gauges to it. I assumed it was low, so hooked up the fill can to the low side, and read the pressure before adding any. I don't have a clue what the high side pressure is right now.

Last year I replaced a hose, pulled a vacuum and filled 'er up. No problems thereafter until now.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

That's why were asking certain questions, so we can better help you. Those little cans are a crappy guage to be honest but other than that.

so what happens when you turn on the AC, (what's year is the jeep) does it cycle at all. if it was too low, the compressor wouldn't engage at all. It sounds like your saying its short cycling, running every few seconds than stopping. Does she have any cold air at all. Is there a chance there's a slow leak
Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Member

When the car is not running: The gauge reads 100-110psi. After starting the car, and the A/C not turned on: same pressure reading. (using the gauge only, freon can is not on)

I have not added any freon at all during this excercise, whatsoever.

When the "button is pushed" to activate the compressor, the pressure (low side) immediately drops for the second or two that the compressor is active. It disengages at approximately 65-70 psig.

The pressure gradually equalizes back to 100-110 psig.

The compressor does not stay active long enough to have "tripped" the low pressure switch. Just to make sure, I bypassed it. There was no change.

The gauge "feels" accurate; as the pressure needed to press the QD fitting in place is close to the feeling of attaching an air tool to a hose. Not the flat feeling that you get when you left that compressor un plugged over the weekend.

I hope that I am being clear enough.

I appreciate the help.

Last edited by rangermonroe; 06-19-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:56 PM

After doing some thinking in the hot heat etc today static reading of 100psi is probably normal . Your system is just low if I had to make an assumption . I'm betting if you add a can your low side pressures with it cycling are a lot lower . Of course to do it correctly you need to pull a vacuum but that's up to you I don't always pull a vacuum .... I know bad bad bad hahaha
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm going to put the "real" gauges on it this weekend when she is here, but I think that there is more to this issue than low gas. The compressor behavior is different than it or any other car I have serviced, when it is "low". It literally runs for two seconds and drops out.

also, It shouldn't have cut out when the low pressure switch was bypassed, no?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:25 PM

High side could cut it off too . Which again points to hook up the real gauges !
Old 06-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

That's what I am thinking too. Either faulty switch or blockage. Somewhere. lol.

Maybe it's making freon and I should let some out?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by rangermonroe
That's what I am thinking too. Either faulty switch or blockage. Somewhere. lol.

Maybe it's making freon and I should let some out?
haha I hear ya orifice tube could be blocked up .
Old 06-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

IDK if this helps or not, BUT my wife's Caravan had this same trouble plus the compressor would occasionally lock up and smoke the belt! She took it to the dealer and they said the orifice was freezing up because of moisture in the system and backpressuring the compressor with liquid freon. They replaced the orifice hose and drier and all was good. She took care of this herself without consulting me!