Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

98 Grand Cherokee Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 Grand Cherokee Starting Issue

My younger brother's 98 grand cherokee 5.9 liter v8 is having a few issues.

He was driving home from Thanksgiving and his jeep started to shake. He pulled it off the side of the road and it immediately died. He tried to start it again and it cranked over, ran for about twenty seconds and then died again.

In the begging, I started by checking the fuel pump. I turned the switch to on and confirmed a whining sound from the gas tank. So from there I assumed the fuel pump was working.

I moved some the of the black box like fuses around on the pcm, making sure the fuel pump relay fuses were good. I just assumed that the one black fuel pump box relay fuse was good because I switched the fuses around and four different ones all gave me the same result. ( I am still not sure how to check these fuses.... is there anyway to test to know for sure. You cant see the metal connectors on them, so I don't know how to tell).

I pulled a spark plug from the front of the engine and confirmed that spark was reaching the cylinder.

After reading about crankshaft positioning sensor problems online, I felt that this may be the case. After a little grinding, I was finally able to locate and replace the cps. That was just this morning.

I then went to start and the engine started to crank as usual but would never turn over all the way, just the same as before, like no fuel was getting to the engine. This time when I tried to start I did hear one loud pop, that sounded like it came from the exhaust. I turned the igntion key back to on and checked to the fuel pump again, only this time I heard no whining.

I am now stumped. I have not tested the fuel pressure because there is not a port on the fuel rail on this jeep like it shows in the manual. I can see where the fuel goes into the fuel rail, but it looks like i need an adaptor to use my fuel pressure gauge... is there any other way to check fuel pressure. What should I do?

Here a few other things I know. The car has been having problems turning over for about six months now. You had to turn the key about three times before it would eventually turn over and run properly. Sometimes it would start and die right away.

There has also been a recurring problem with the battery. Once every month or so when you tried to turn the key the jeep would just click, like the battery terminal connector just got shorted somehow. To fix this you just had to disconnect the negative battery terminal cable for a few seconds and reconnect and it would be fine.

Do you think maybe I just blew the fuel pump relay fuse after I installed the cps and tried to start?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

sounds like a check valve in the pump or the pump itself is bad