Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

98 grand Cherokee dying?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 grand Cherokee dying?

I know I've posted on here before but basically my jeep acts like It's going to die but it don't. It will kind of give out for a second but keep running. The other day it actually died. I pulled up to the gas station and it just shut off. Then after I got my gas I crunk it up and I drove about 1/4 mile and it died again. I tried to crank it but it wouldn't start. After sitting there for about 5 minutes it crunk right up and I drove about 20 minutes and it died again so I put it in neutral and let it roll to a stop but somehow it just came back on cause when I had stopped it was still running so I put it in drive and drove another about 15 minutes until it died again, but that time it crunk right up and I continued home when about 20 minutes later it kind of gave out again but it didn't actually die and I finally made it home. ( we live in the sticks and our bank is an hour and a half away) well anyway I've had this problem for 2 months now. When it first started doing it, it would only seem to do it once I drove it for hours straight so we figured it was the coil, which was cracked so we replaced it. Well the next day I had met up with my aunts for dinner and when I got ready to leave it wouldn't start at all. My dad came and got me and the next morning we tried to start it but it still wouldn't crank so we pulled it to his house and he put a new fuel pump on it. Well a week or so went by and I didn't have any problems at all but now the past 2 weeks It's been doing like I said above. I had people tell me it could but the fuel filter or the ecm. But when I called auto zone to get a price of those parts apparently my jeep doesn't have either? It's a 98 grand Cherokee laredo 4x4 6 cylinder and I'm pretty sure It's a 4.0 litre. I'm a girl and I really don't know a lot about cars just a few things from watching my dad work on them all the time. I just moved out of state a few weeks ago or I'd take it to him and I've been trying to call him but my dads always so busy and his cell is dead 90% of the time. Plus he's old school and can't really work a cell anyway. But I just don't know what it could be. I had some other people say the 02 sensor or the crank shaft positioner but the guy at auto zone said if my check engine light isn't coming on it would be neither of those but I really don't know and who's to say my check engine light even works. I wouldn't doubt it with this piece of junk. And another thing It's doing is when I try to crank it, I hold it over for like 3-5 seconds and it won't start but when I do it the second time it will crank right up sometimes it might take a second. Any help?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 AM

Year: 1997 limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 318 v8

have the crank position sensor looked at
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

And the cam sensor too.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by johnbanghart
have the crank position sensor looked at
ditto - girl at my work had almost the same symptoms with 99, finally wouldn't start at work, her friend came and replaced it in lot, works without issue now, I think its like $50 if you order it online
Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 PM

Model: Cherokee

Where is that located at?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

The crank position sensor is located on top of the bell housing on the drivers side, down and to the right of the master cylinder. Hope that helps