Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

97 grand cherokee 4.0 no heat please help i am stumped

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 grand cherokee 4.0 no heat please help i am stumped

I just got the jeep from a friend it has no heat I messed with it and can't figure it out, the blend door near hump of the floor seems to be working ok I think! I manually opened and closed it it seems like it spring loaded to be set to warm? But I can't find any other blend doors!! The heater core in and out seem to be flowing temp only goes down 10 degrees from in to out of core! I checked with infrared thermometer! What do I need to do to fix this issue I don't mind cutting and glueing stuff to fix it or if I never have ac again I just need heat I been freezing out here in 10 degree cold weather! When I flip on vents heat works for about 10 seconds then gets cold!!

so i flushed cooling system with my garden hose and it didnt really do too much. i am soo stumped i cant figure this out

Last edited by Stennyjoe; 01-10-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 AM

i am gonna now back flush heater core see what happens
Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 AM

does anyone know or have a pic of where i can cut to gain access to the blend doors i think one is working and one is not idk because heat at the floor is luke warm but vents are always cold
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I've done some searching and I haven't yet found a good cut-away drawing of Jeep's heater systems showing where the doors are and how they function. It's almost as if they don't want you to know so they can fix it!

My 00 WJ has an air inlet door problem. It leaks heat even in the summer. Now the fan seems to lack force, but the heat goes wherever I send it so I'm assuming the blend door is still functioning. I'd like to know what's inside before ripping the dash out and looking at the parts and still not knowing what I looking for. Argh!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 PM

Yea same here I guess if this back flowing the heater core and using car in the heater core doesn't work I am gonna start cutting into heater box to see what's going on in there! I will post pics and stuff if I do that! If I do cut into that I will be starting at the hot cold actuator and door that moves when you go from how cold then I will be cutting into where all the vacuum actuators are which is gonna be a paintfor asome of them because of where they are located