Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

97 grand with a 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default 97 grand with a 5.2

Hello everyone,I have another issue took my jeep on some trail's and it got late so I
turned on my head light's and I have no tail light's and no dash light's.I have head light's,interior light's,and only when i brake the tail light turn on.I checked the fuse in the passenger side fuse was out.I replaced it and it keep's on blowing it out.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 w/K&N Intake

Repeated instant fuse blowing often means something is shorting to ground. The first thing that comes to mind is the trailer hitch socket since part of its harness is exposed under the vehicle. If you have a tow set up you might start there, you might have nicked some wires while off roading.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

^ what he said. Also I have seen bulbs cause shorts too, though it is rare. I have also seen people pinch the wiring when re-installing the tail lamp lenses. If it has trailer wiring start there, if thats ok then maybe pull both tail lamps & bulbs and inspect bulbs. Maybe keep the bulbs out and plug them back in one by one and see what happens. Might go ahead and buy a box or two of spare fuses so you will have enough to test for shorts.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyMacaw
Repeated instant fuse blowing often means something is shorting to ground. The first thing that comes to mind is the trailer hitch socket since part of its harness is exposed under the vehicle. If you have a tow set up you might start there, you might have nicked some wires while off roading.
Ok I will try that sounds good cause I was towing my trailer thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jnicewan
^ what he said. Also I have seen bulbs cause shorts too, though it is rare. I have also seen people pinch the wiring when re-installing the tail lamp lenses. If it has trailer wiring start there, if thats ok then maybe pull both tail lamps & bulbs and inspect bulbs. Maybe keep the bulbs out and plug them back in one by one and see what happens. Might go ahead and buy a box or two of spare fuses so you will have enough to test for shorts.
I will check it out and yes I will need a box of fuses.I already blew out 4.Thank's for your help.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:41 PM

Hello again,I found the issue to my jeep blowing the brake light fuse.I had a stereo put in to week's pryor to this happening,the guy connected the stereo and the guy lefted live wire's.So I tapes them up and everything fine now thanks for your help guy's.