Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 ZJ trans pan install - extra rings, piece in pan, flush cooler or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L
Default 96 ZJ trans pan install - extra rings, piece in pan, flush cooler or not?

Changing the trans filter on my 96 ZJ 5.2 with HD cooling and IV tow package, and found two pan bolts had extra little rings on them about 1/2 OD between the bolt washers and the pan. I am guessing these are not stock since there's no mention of them in the service manual. Is there a place where these are needed?

I once had to take the pan back off my 86 Pioneer when I used just the rubber pan gasket and it leaked, so I plan to use Permatex B non hardening on the ZJ pan gasket. Is this or any other sealant recommended? Again the service manual says nothing about using sealant.

There were just a few metal flakes in the pan and one piece of what looks like a section of a 6-1/2 inch diameter ring .06 thick, .125 wide, 1 inch long, slightly curved, shiny on three sides, rough like cast on the back, and non magnetic. I don't see a similar void in the body of the trans or on the bottom lip. Any idea what it is from?

And finally, given the few metal flakes and the "ring" piece, should I also back flush the trans cooler before I refill the trans?