Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 ZJ Repl Fuel Pump then gas tank leak when full

Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 ZJ Repl Fuel Pump then gas tank leak when full

I replaced the fuel pump in my 1996 ZJ and ran it for a couple weeks or so. Then the other day I fill it up and back it into my drive way which is slanted pretty good. and one of my sons tells me that is was leaking. Bad too right from the area on top middle where the Fuel pump goes.

I took the Jeep and pulled face forward into the drive way and the gas stopped leaking.

So of course I will have to drop the tank again with it being FULL. Is this typically the "seal" from the fuel pump? I thought I put it on right but any suggestions on what to look out for? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The seal around the pump is not seated correctly. It's not hard to cross thread the big plastic ring that secures it and not fulley seat the pump. I'm suprised the check engine light is not on with an evap leak detected code. Or is it?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 AM

So far no light or codes. Thanks for the heads up. Is it possible I may have over-tightened the plastic ring causing the seal to pinch?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Very possible. I lube the seal with some light grease before I install the pump.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM

I finally got time to drop the tank and redo the job. When I dropped the tank I noticed the lock ring was not screwed down but laying there. I pulled the Seal out and noticed it was no perfect.

Not being able to find a replacement I decided to reuse the seal. I used liquid hand soap to install the seal and lock ring.

I have not been able to fill it back up but I am guessing a couple of things happened. First time did not get the lock ring on tight enough or crossed the threads. 2nd thing is I wonder if I tightened the nuts on the j-bolts too tightly forcing the tank up into the frame and pushing the fuel pump against the lock ring?

On a another note I took the opportunity to swap out the old Siemens Fuel Injectors for some Neon Fuel injectors. Used gear oil to lube o-rings cause that's what I had handy. I will say I could definitely tell a difference and it was GOOD. Not faster or anything but better idle, more responsive part throttle and seem to get slightly better MPG. (no hard #'s)