Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 cherokee not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 8 cyl 5.2 ltr
Default 96 cherokee not starting

I am currently looking to purchase a 96 grand cherokee, the only problem is that it won't start. I am thinking it has to do with the security system. It cranks fine and if you dump gas in the throttle body it starts and runs. Is it possible to bypass the security system? Also what exactly does the security system do to keep it from starting?

The guy that has it says he has the remote lock for it, but he has to find it. Is it possible that this would cause a problem if it was not working right?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM

Model: Cherokee

OK. Fuel, air, spark. Apparently, it is a fuel delivery issue. IDK about the security thing, and wonder why you think that might be it. How about injectors? Pull one and see if you get spray. You getting fuel pressure, pump working? Was it sitting before you bought it?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM

Year: 2015
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2l

I had a no start issue because of a faulty aftermarket security system. Mine however wasn't able to crank. I'm not sure about any stock security system but I took the aftermarket one out because it was pain since I bought the Jeep and never wanted to deal with the issue again.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The stock security system locks out the fuel pump, injectors and ignition system, HOWEVER my 97 ZJ would start and stall 2 seconds later. The horns were burnt out so I didn't realize the system was armed except for a little blinking LED on top of the dash. You can try locking and unlocking the driver's door with the key. that should disarm the system.

Try replacing the ASD relay. this is what the security system works through. You can swap it with any other relay, I suggest a headlight relay.

Can you keep it running by squirting gas into the throttle body? If you can, it's not the security system. Check fuel pressure by pressing the shrader valve on the fuel rail. If you have pressure, it must be power to the injectors. If you don't, it's the fuel pump OR power to it.

I had a friend that would check spark by hanging onto a plug wire. Not MY idea of a good time!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM

could it be a cranckshaft position sensor bad....might want to look into that
Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Originally Posted by huskerbucky
could it be a cranckshaft position sensor bad....might want to look into that
Where the H did you come from? Good point!

Oh! and welcome to CF!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM

Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 8 cyl 5.2 ltr

I think it is the security system because when you try to start it and or do anything the lights flash and the little led light on the dash flashes. The horns do not work but could be because they are either no good or no power to them, did not get chance to delve that deep. Won't worry about horns until after I buy it, if I buy it.... but I really can't pass the deal up though.... $400 cash plus it has a suspension lift in it that needs work but hey it's there already.

I own a 97 ZJ and it did the same thing to me once. Start up and stall 2 seconds later.

Not sure if locking and unlocking drivers door with the key will work right, because it has been replaced. Most of the electrical seems to work on it like the power window controls. But not to sure if the power lock button works on it.

Last edited by Karmageddon; 06-24-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:28 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I've heard some people say to lock and unlock the rear hatch with the key to disarm the security. IDK because the tumbler didn't work on my ZJ.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 AM

I bought a jeep with that won't start. MIL doesn't light up. No spark. I pulled out PCM connector C1 Pin 22, +12v supply continue there. My doubt:
1. Is the +12v supply continue to supply to PCM without without turning on ignition switch?
2. I plugged in C1 and turn ignition switch on, there isnt' any 5V supply from C1 pin17 and C2-Pin 32.

Could it be a PCM issue? I bought a PCM from salvage yard, can I just plug to see if the MIL light up?

My Jeep also come with aftermarket alarm system which the remote control doesn't work. I have to disable by pressing a reset switch. I believe this should not cause'wont start' problem. Appreciate if any advise.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Where the H did you come from? Good point!

Oh! and welcome to CF!
ty...i just joined yesterday..i got a 1996 grand cherokee limited edition that stalled on me on freeway with engine light on...code was P1391...soo replaced cam sensor and cranckshaft sensor...it starts now but runs really rough...by what some of you say it still could be crankshaft sensor since i bought it from auto zone and not dealership...so gonna replace it again with the genuine dealership one...
Old 06-25-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ericgsc
I bought a jeep with that won't start. MIL doesn't light up. No spark. I pulled out PCM connector C1 Pin 22, +12v supply continue there. My doubt:
1. Is the +12v supply continue to supply to PCM without without turning on ignition switch?
2. I plugged in C1 and turn ignition switch on, there isnt' any 5V supply from C1 pin17 and C2-Pin 32.

Could it be a PCM issue? I bought a PCM from salvage yard, can I just plug to see if the MIL light up?

My Jeep also come with aftermarket alarm system which the remote control doesn't work. I have to disable by pressing a reset switch. I believe this should not cause'wont start' problem. Appreciate if any advise.
Read my post above. It can cause a no start issue if your alarm is going off and you are unaware of it. I ended up taking the aftermarket alarm out as it's been trouble since day one of owning my Jeep.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 AM

Faulty alarm will make MIL not light up?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:01 AM

Faulty alarm will make MIL not light up?
I think I was confused by your first post. If you're asking if a faulty alarm will keep specifically your MIL from lighting up I don't know, but I doubt it. If you're asking if a faulty alarm can keep your engine from starting then yes. And if you're asking if the MIL will light up if the alarm is keeping the engine from starting then, at least in my case, no my MIL never lit up.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Creature85
I think I was confused by your first post. If you're asking if a faulty alarm will keep specifically your MIL from lighting up I don't know, but I doubt it. If you're asking if a faulty alarm can keep your engine from starting then yes. And if you're asking if the MIL will light up if the alarm is keeping the engine from starting then, at least in my case, no my MIL never lit up.

Thanks for info. I shall get someone to remove the faulty alarma and see how its goes..
Old 06-26-2013, 09:33 AM

Thanks for info. I shall get someone to remove the faulty alarma and see how its goes..
Good luck, and do let us know what your outcome is.

Quick Reply: 96 cherokee not starting