Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'96 auto transmission query.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '96 auto transmission query.

Hi all, from hot, wet and windy Australia.
I have a slight problem with my '96 Grand' transmission.
Some 2 years ago I had a new motor fitted, 4 litre.
Everything fine for a couple of weeks.
Then, the transmission locked into 3rd gear and wouldn't change by auto. Worked fine on changing with the stick. OD also not working.
Since this didn't seem to be earth shattering, I let it go rather than driving the 600 miles to my nearest jeep dealer.
But, every now and again everything would come good and work perfectly, for 1 trip!! It went wonky again as soon as I turned the ignition off and then re-started. This has happened some 6 times over the last 2 years.
I did take it to someone in town who claims to know all about jeeps, but he said this can't possibly happen, and looked at me like I was nuts! He refused to waste his time on a test drive.
Over the last 3 months I have lived where an official jeep service centre is and had it into them for a look. So far they have fitted a new kickdown cable, a new solenoid in the gearbox and no result.
My background is electrical and this smacks of an electrical fault? My first choice would be a loose connector of some kind somewhere in the transmission to computer, but can't find anything remotely like that in the schematics. There has always been a fault indication on the odo fault display (73 I think) or something close to 73 that related to an open or short on the torque converter. The users manual does say that the transmission will do this if the computer detects various faults in the transmission. This, to me, seems to add up.
Anyway, this is starting to drive me a bit nuts, so If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
I am back living 600 miles away again BTW.

Peter
PORT HEDLAND
Western Australi.

Last edited by muddy0409; 01-11-2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2012, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Well you have a lot more patience then I would have had... It does seen to be electrial.. I would start with removing the connections on the computer and cleaning them as they get dirty and cause all kind of havack.. And before that check the wiring very closely as obviouly something is loose or rubbing... Usually turns out to be some kind of a ground problem since it comes an goes intermitently. Thoes are the worst kind of faults to try and find. Best of luck.. I would have suppected the kickdown cable but you said it has been replaced already. Who knows "It is a jeep after all."..LOl

Good Day Mate..