Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 ZJ Door replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
TGO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 ZJ Door replacement

So, today I get out of my truck and as I shut the door I hear a clunk and then the sound of a metal bolt hitting the ground. I open the door back up and notice that the latch on the door itself has broken free and is flopping around in the door. I managed to get some washers and put the bolts back in so I can close and lock the door...but it doesn't seal properly and on top of that the sheetmetal of the door where the bolts originally went through is completely broken off. I don't have a picture handy, but I found this picture online that illustrates my problem and what I did to solve it:

I have two washers on the bottom though because the metal inbetween is broken off, and one on the top.

I can't weld...and I don't know anyone who has a welder that can help me out. Considering i'd probably pay a mechanic a couple of hundred dollars to weld a piece in there and get everything aligned properly, i'm thinking I should just replace the door. I have to replace the hinge pins as well as I think that is what caused this problem. Put it off for too long I guess...

My question is, am I limited to using a 93-95 door or are there any other years that will bolt up? The more years I can use the better luck of finding a replacement door. I saw a picture from a 98 and the skin is completely different.