Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 zj bouncing tach and stall

Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 zj bouncing tach and stall

Hi all let me start by introducing myself my names mike and Im from cenral nj . Ive used this site and other jeep sites before for trouble shooting. However this time my mind is boggled.

I have a 95 zj 5.2l 318. Occasionally she stalls out the weird thing is the tach will go nuts and after it bounces all over the truck will stall out. If I give it gas sometimes it will start back up. Other times it just dies out and wont start back up unless I put it in neutral and rev the motor. Another thing is sometimes it will throw a code and other times it will have none at all.

Ive replaced the cam sensor and the crank sensor. Gave it a full tune up. Cleaned all the electrical connections and even removed the pcm cleaned it and re installed it.

I traced back a chafed wire to the pcm and found it exposed so I clipped it and reconnected it. This wire is for the crank sensor. Also I found one of the injector connectors under the heater core hose was chafed as well. I used electrical tape to repair it . No matter what I do I can not solve this problem. Do you guys think it is the pcm? Or can it be some kind of short out which is shutting the truck down ? Also the two positive cables which lead from the fuse box under the hood and the altinator are now touching since I replaced the battery terminal.

Thanks in advance for the help, mike.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Does this happen more when the engine is warm or cold?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 PM

Id say more when it is warm. How ever it has done it when it has been cold as well. I seriously need to figure this out lol its aggravating the heck out of me
Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

I haven't noticed the tach bouncing on my 96 ZJ V8, but recently it stalls when coasting and when I come to a stop in gear unless I keep a little gas on and two-foot the gas and brakes. The info display has also stopped working but is probably a coincidence.

I first thought it was because the battery was down to 85% and it has done weird things in the past if the battery was low, but even with a fresh charge it has a low idle in neutral and often dies at idle in gear.

Saw a post below on stalling of a 94 ZJ suggesting it is in the EGR system; Is that the place to look first? Other than the dying at idle in gear, it is running OK. Haven't checked for codes yet, but the engine malfunction light is not set.

Any suggestions for upping the idle speed?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM

Any ideas anyone?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Default idle stalling 96 has no codes set

Originally Posted by zjmikey
Any ideas anyone?
I just checked codes and data on my 96 in the driveway and no codes were set and it idled at 1000 RPM cold (39 degrees) and around 650 in neutral when it warmed up; it did not stall in gear, but I didn't try to drive it.

Checking the fuel section in the manual I see there is no idle speed adjustment, except one screw that it tells you not to touch, and that the PCM controls the idle speed.

Tomorrow I'll try driving with the scanner connected (unless we get the freezing rain that is predicted tonight) and see how it behaves.

The info display is still dark, but I don't think is has anything to do with engine management.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 PM

Default no test drive today

Freezing rain today and can't even open the door so test drive will be later when things thaw out.