Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 grand cherokee hesitates

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 95 grand cherokee hesitates

So I had some time this weekend to work on my 95 grand cherokee that I recently purchased and when I bought it I knew it needed a few minor things tune up muffler etc so I replaced the exhaust manifold, muffler did a full tune up plugs wires cap and rotor, valve cover gasket, cleaned the throttle body and put a new air filter In. I drove it this weekend and it was running a little rough then when I tried to beat a traffic light it hesitated and drove very rough and had a rough idle after that for about a mike or two and didn't not want to accelerate then it went away and later that day returned anything i may be missing only other thing I can think of is stuck injectors so I bought a can of sea foam and put it in the tank last night haven't driven it since any suggestions on what I need to check next?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6

If the rough running started after you worked on it, I would suspect some wiring connection got pulled or twisted and now has bad contact or is shorting, or there is always the good ol' vacuum leak from where you inadvertently tore an old brittle hose or cap plug. Oh yeah, I guess there could be a leak below the throttle body if you had it off.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Red River T
If the rough running started after you worked on it, I would suspect some wiring connection got pulled or twisted and now has bad contact or is shorting, or there is always the good ol' vacuum leak from where you inadvertently tore an old brittle hose or cap plug. Oh yeah, I guess there could be a leak below the throttle body if you had it off.
The problem was there before I started working on it, I left the throttle body on and I thought by doing a complete tune up it might go away and still the same issue