Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 Grand Cherokee 4L turns off when I try to change gear

Old 06-29-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 Grand Cherokee 4L turns off when I try to change gear

So the issue began when my battery died, I replaced it but the alternator wasn't charging it properly. I then replaced my alternator which cured the voltage issues and ran just fine. That same day my Serpentine Belt was squeeling horrendously. Rather than just tightening it, I replaced it with a brand new one, just in case. I've quadruple checked to make sure the belt was routed properly. After that my battery was reading really low and wouldn't start! I took it back to Autozone and had it checked. The employee said it was perfectly fine and then fully charged it. I took it back home and reinstalled it. My Jeep cranks and starts now but the voltage meter is reading 9 and below. Also the moment I take the emergency brake off it immediately sputters and dies. I put the brake back on and it will start right back up. I don't know what to do. I've also replaced the spark plugs, cap and rotor, and gave it both an oil and transmission filter/fluid change. Any suggestions, has anyone else experienced this issue?

Last edited by WhiteElephantJeep; 06-29-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Did u replace the battery terminals too? Original terminals are like cancer and cause all sorts of problems sich as nit charginh or hard starting. These jeeps need a while to relearn the idle after the battery dies. If you can get it started let it run until it's fully warmed up maybe 7-10 minutes. After the temp gauge is between 190-210 the jeep should be ready to go.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by XJRed96
Did u replace the battery terminals too? Original terminals are like cancer and cause all sorts of problems sich as nit charginh or hard starting. These jeeps need a while to relearn the idle after the battery dies. If you can get it started let it run until it's fully warmed up maybe 7-10 minutes. After the temp gauge is between 190-210 the jeep should be ready to go.
Thank you for your suggestions. I did change the terminals about 6 months ago. Last night I let my Jeep run run for about 10 minutes, I wasn't paying attention to the temp, just the battery voltage which was still at 9V. Could this be the alternator , even though I just replaced it this week?
Old 06-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Check for a bad wire from the terminal to the PDC (power distribution center; fuse/relay box under the hood). This wire supplies all the power to the system except the starter. Low voltage to the PDC will cause all kinds of freaky stuff to happen.