Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 G Cherokee Im at my wits end...now it wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default 95 G Cherokee Im at my wits end...now it wont start

I bought this jeep in may. it has been a strong runner and no major mechanical probs, though I have done some work to it that is just due to age (front axel , differential) But it hasnt "broken down on me" It is a salvage title which i couldn't figure out why because it has 0 history in any database as being reported as salvage. But something somewhere is wrong and i think it has to be electrical. From the start there were issues with the windows and power seats. I figured its the switches but if you roll two windows up at the same time it goes really slow, if you roll just one it goes at normal speed.

So ff to now, all a sudden one day the jeep wont start. And it always started first try and super strong. I thought it was odd because i seemed to notice about a week or so before that, it was lagging to start. it just had more delay before kicking over. So I tried jumping it and still no go. I had power however, lights, windows ect. So I guessed battery or alternator, maybe starter. So I went and got a new battery. Still didnt start. At that point im fried so i left it alone. Next morning i try again. It didnt start. I press the brake throw it in n then back to park and bam, it starts. first try and strong like it used to. So Im like thats the oddest thing ever and I dont get it but ok whatever.

ff now three weeks later. I havnt drove it for a few days. I went to start today and totally dead. DEAD DEAD DEAD no power at all. So i jump it. It starts, i put it in driveway and now I notice smoke from the exhaust where it meets the pipe coming down from the engine. Im like super just keep digging my grave with this money pit. So it wasnt started long and cuz of the smoke I shut it off cuz that got me nervous. Then it wouldnt start again. it went back to dead. So im not sure what the hell is wrong with it and im just ready to junk it after im into it about 5k including purchase price, repairs and back fees. ugh.

If anyone can help a girl out please Im out of money to take this to a mechanic. and i have a feeling that its all electrical and i dont wanna mess with that!! (and Im known to fix my own vehicle!) Or maybe you wanna just buy it from me?? Thanks for any help and sorry for the looong post.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

It's a nice looking ZJ, maybe it was just scrapped because of a wiring fire, and the JY rebuilt it and sold it. It's hard to say about the salvage title.

How old is the battery? Remove and clean the battery cables. What's their condition? Maybe they need replacing? Check the ground wires.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Yeah, check the battery connections and the condition of the cables. As far as the weird starting problem, I suspect the neutral safety switch to be at fault.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 5.2l v8

neutral safety switch u said u took it out of park and slammed it back I'd check that
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 PM

Location: Clutier IA, where the jeep lays in wait, Pensacola, Florida, where im stationed.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

Deff check your battery grounds, and neutral safety switch. My zj had bad grounds and was temperamental about starting until I replaced them. But wiring really isn't that bad just check the connections over and look for cut or frayed wires. Don't give up you'll figure it out.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

If its a no crank/no start then do kind of like you already have done. Try to start in neutral, if not starting from there then hold your foot on the brake and go ahead and try starting it in the other gear positions. Keep in mind if the neutral safety switch is failing and it starts in gear the transmission will quickly engage and try to take off once the engine starts ( have your foot on brake for this test)

I wouldnt worry too much about the smoke. Usually when there are oil leaks and you let the vehicle sit the oil will seep downward and some probably got on the exhaust and was burning off. This usually isnt noticed on daily drivers because the oil doesnt have time to accumulate on the exhaust. It doesnt have to be a big leak either, things like a seeping valve cover gasket can do this.

Also the smoke could be from a cracked exhaust manifold, they usually start cracking around the collector where the exhaust pipe mounts to the manifold and usually if leaking it will start making a ticking noise when engine is running that might go away after it warms up a little.

Sitting for a few days should not drain a good battery. I just drove my Jeep yesterday after it sat for 3 weeks and it cranked around 2-3 seconds then fired right up and its sat for longer periods of time before that. If the battery is going dead, something is shorted and/or staying on a causing a draw. Make sure the cables are good Check the obvious things like the hood light, glove box light, radio, interior,map and vanity lights first. Battery draws can be pretty difficult to find, most of the ones I find are something little like mentioned above, or aftermarket items like radios, DVD players, plug in items in lighter sockets etc.