Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'94 ZJ, air conditioning went out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default '94 ZJ, air conditioning went out!

I've got NO CLUE about ac stuff, so I'm at a loss, of course

Long story short, I've had problems with the AC blowing warm air. We thought that it was related to the ZJ's overheating, but we had the Jeep worked on---overheating problem solved, AC still blowing warm.

Next we thought it was r134, so I topped off the system---blew cool for a minute, then back to warm.

So I took it to a Quick Lube and had them do an Evac and Recharge. Same thing---blew cool (though not COLD) for a minute, then back to warm. Noticed this just as I'm about to drive off, so I pointed it out to the tech. Come to find out, there's a short in the connector wire coming into the top passenger side of the compressor, causing it to fail to engage. Wiggle the wire around, the compressor spins, and the AC spits out cool (not cold) air. So we zip-tied the connector to keep a good connection, the compressor kicked on, and the AC blew cool (not cold).

...for a day. It's now back to blowing out warm (even hot) air.

A few things I noticed...

1) The compressor still turns like it's supposed to, but with no cold air.

2) The compressor ONLY kicks on when the "AC" button on the climate control is depressed---supposed to be that way anyway.

3) The high and low pressure lines going into the top of the compressor are hot to the touch, as is the black cylinder that the lines go to behind the compressor (evaporator?). As I understand, but that black cylinder and the lines are supposed to be either cool or cold to the touch.

Thoughts?