Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

94 grand Cherokee problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 grand Cherokee problem

So I'm having issues with me 94 grand Cherokee 5.2 it only starts when I hold the bright switch back and the interior lights and radio and heat all comes on but when I let it go the lights and stuff stop working but it stays running and as soon as I hold it back the blinkers and interior lights work again.. any info would be great
Old 06-13-2017, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: v8

I think that it is pretty self evident that the steering column wiring harness needs attention: but I have to ask. How in the heck did you determine the temporary solution? :rofl
Old 06-13-2017, 09:21 PM

I was just messing with the lights seeing how the previous owner installed led kc lights and wires them to the light switch and just happens to notice the interior lights flicker as I was holding it back ... thanks for the reply I started digging into it tonight and will continue until I find a solution .. if u happen to think of anything else . That would be gratefull.. what about the security alarm even though it starts and there's no key fob with it??
Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Security system is a pain. Lock the door from inside, close door, use key to unlock PASSENGER door.

Sometimes it takes a couple tries to get it to work. This can be very embarrassing for your 20 yo daughter who is borrowing your car while you fix hers.

The security system will allow the car to start, but will immediately shut it down.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:50 PM

Default Help.. electrical problem

ok so I still haven't had any luck with figuring out the problem . But I've narrowed it down I'm not getting any power to my blinker switch unless it's held back and the top 4 fuses on the right are not getting g any power unless I do the same thing . The radio blinkers heater and interior lights are all afected by this any help would be great it's a 94 grand Cherokee ..
Old 06-23-2017, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mieyahrae1
ok so I still haven't had any luck with figuring out the problem . But I've narrowed it down I'm not getting any power to my blinker switch unless it's held back and the top 4 fuses on the right are not getting g any power unless I do the same thing . The radio blinkers heater and interior lights are all afected by this any help would be great it's a 94 grand Cherokee ..
Not to be a dick, but "The radio blinkers heater and interior lights are all afected by this any help would be great it's a 94 grand Cherokee .. "

do you mean "The radio, blinkers, heater, and interior lights are all affected by this. Any help would be great. It's a 94 grand Cherokee .."?

I have a 94 GC, so I can be a lot of help to you. It's my current daily driver and project car.

It sounds like there is a short circuit somewhere. I would first disconnect anything the previous owner did, one thing at a time. Especially paying attention to things that have "aftermarket" wiring. Also, describe what "affected by" means; are the dash lights not illuminating, is the radio not playing, or are the interior lights blinking like a discotheque on meth?

Help me help you.

Last edited by rangermonroe; 06-23-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:30 PM

The previous owner does have kc lights installed on top and 2 by the grill so I'll unhook those.. well the heater does not work at all and the blinkers do not work they just don't blink. No noise nothing .. same goes for the interior light but when I hold the bright switch back the heater come on the interior lights come on and the onboard screen cones on as well the blinkers acually work as there supposed to only if I hold it back With the lights turned on.. the bottom kc lights are wired into the headlight switch .. one of my buddy's told me to replace the ignition switch so I have that coming should be here in the morning..
Old 06-24-2017, 10:39 AM

Ok the ignition switch dident work but on the back of the blinker switch or multi function switch I can hold a screwdriver to a metal tab and I get power to everything
Old 06-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Member

You are an ingenious diagnoser.

I bet its going to be a PITA to drive with a screwdriver in that position.

ETA: I'd like to see a picture of that "tab" and some additional details.

I'll wager that a ground wire is not grounding, but I haven't a clue which one.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:21 PM

Haha thank so I'll check that but I think I found the issue the box that hold the wires together is cracked so I have to get one from a junkyard this week and hopefully that fixes it I can't believe I missed that for the last 2 weeks