Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

93 ZJ acceleration hesitation when in drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default 93 ZJ acceleration hesitation when in drive

Hello everyone..I have a 93 ZJ 2WD 136k miles .
It's lifted on 2" and 31x9.5 super swampers.
So my problem is when I accelerate in D the RMP goes up to about 2000 and it hesitates .. ormore like really slowly accelerates. It just started doing this now. I changed engine and tranny fluids as well as both filters. My oil pressure is steady at 80 . It usually happens as soon as I start the car up and only at slow speed. Once it passes around 20mph it rides smooth and nothing . When I put it in 2 or 1 it doesn't do it... or at least I don't feel it.
It's an automatic . I was thinking it was the cloth on the tranny of maybe a sensor?
Not really sure but any help or any ideas or point me in the right direction. Would be greatly appreciated !
Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 PM

I forgot to mention there is a crimped in my fuel line where the fuel pump is. I've had it like this for a while just haven't had time to fix it and before it didn't do it.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Are you saying it didn't do this before you added the bigger tires?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 PM

Yea, it just started doing it about 3-4 days ago. Just out of no where completely. Any ideas?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Anyone ? PLEASE HELP
Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 AM

help please
Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Divinusx
help please
I'll try. First your '93 has the AW4 trans, which uses a separate Transmission Control Module. When driving, try shifting it through the gears manually, 1,2,3 etc. and see if it goes through all the gears. Then do it leaving the shifter in Drive and see if it goes through all the gears and count them starting off in 1. At about 45 the torque convertor should lock up, that's not the trans shifting. If it does it manually but not in Drive it's probably a bad TCM.
Also the bigger tires could have a little affect on your issue.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Well the tranny is an automatic. So it only has 1,2 and D. So should I just do the something? I'm sorry I'm such a bad person when it comes to do with trannys. And what is the TCM your referring to?
A friend of my said it could be that I have no first gear or a bad transmission acceleration odometer ? It's a wire connected on the tranny. Not sure if o even said that right.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Well the tranny is an automatic. So it only has 1,2 and D. So should I just do the something? I'm sorry I'm such a bad person when it comes to do with trannys. And what is the TCM your referring to?
A friend of my said it could be that I have no first gear or a bad transmission acceleration odometer ? It's a wire connected on the tranny. Not sure if o even said that right.
Transmission Control Module
Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Your '93 Grand has a 4-spd automatic overdrive transmission, 4th being overdrive.
When I said to drive it and shift it manually I meant to start from a stop with the shifter in "1", then as you pick up speed move the shifter to "2", then to the next position as you notice the sound/RPMs increase, as needed. Pay attention and make sure moving the shifter actually changes the gears, observing the tachometer for change in RPMs. As stated earlier you should be in fourth gear before 40, and the torque convertor should lock up around 45-47MPH causing the RPMs to drop.
If the trans shifts fine manually but feels sluggish when left in Drive, meaning it feels like it's taking off in 2nd not 1st, it's probably a bad Transmission Control Module. IMO
Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 AM
pwb

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Your '93 Grand has a 4-spd automatic overdrive transmission, 4th being overdrive.
When I said to drive it and shift it manually I meant to start from a stop with the shifter in "1", then as you pick up speed move the shifter to "2", then to the next position as you notice the sound/RPMs increase, as needed. Pay attention and make sure moving the shifter actually changes the gears, observing the tachometer for change in RPMs. As stated earlier you should be in fourth gear before 40, and the torque convertor should lock up around 45-47MPH causing the RPMs to drop.
If the trans shifts fine manually but feels sluggish when left in Drive, meaning it feels like it's taking off in 2nd not 1st, it's probably a bad Transmission Control Module. IMO
If i had 4 speed (AW4) its not possible to move between 1 and 2. The stick has 1-2, 3 and D
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/attach...rner-20.06.jpg

But he says it has only 1, 2, D
Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
So i just tried doing this morning, and from the looks of it, its seems it may be the TCM. I'm gonna order one soon and see if that fixes it. Thank you Ol'Blue for the help.