Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'93 318 issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '93 318 issues

my 93 has a loping idle. any thoughts on what it could be? no warning lights at all, but it doesent get above 150 F on the gauge(dont know how accurate THAT is though) earlier when i flushed the radiator for an hour to get all the rust out, when i had the top hose off, water/steam would only come out after it got warm. and having steam coming out means that it has to be about 212 F. so the t-stat isnt stuck open as far as i can tell. from what ive read normal temp is 195-210.

also having that much rust in the radiator scares me. how can i check if its flooding into the cylinders, just check which plugs are washed clean? i bet you jeep gurus have some magical fix (ok, i know there is no MAGICAL fix) but i know when you get to know a certain type of machinery you know exactly what things are by specific sounds they make, specific quirks of each thing wrong.

thanks in advance and if you dont get my problem just ask and ill try to clarify
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Umm, the rust in the cooling system will not go flooding into the cylinders unless the head gasket is bad, or there is a crack in the block or heads, then you have bigger problems to worry about. As far as the idle problem, I recommend a complete tune up with new plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. Clean the throttle body and replace the air and fuel filters, check the vacuum hoses for breaks and leaks, and replace the PCV valve. You may have a misfire and a 93 with OBD I will not always set a misfire code, if it will at all.

Last edited by Bustedback; 02-15-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:10 AM

ok thanks. im hoping there isnt a crack in the cylinder wall of leaking head gasket. thanks for the tune up tips, hopefully this thing will shine like a dime and run like a champ once im done.

what would cause the temp gauge to be off? the sender unit?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Pull the block drain plugs at the bottom of each cylinder bank. If no coolant comes out, probe with a screwdriver until it does. This will show you how much rust is inside the block. You may have to run a chemical cleaner thru to system to clean it out. This is best done without a thermostat and with cardboard in front of the radiator to bring it up to temp.

Cooling systems should be flushed out every time you change coolant or at least every 2 years. Pulling the block drains flushes out any accumulated rust in the block. Many people don't bother. Also, if you've got that much rust in the radiator, you should back-flush the heater core as well, and now's a good time to replace ALL the hoses.

These are things that need to be done with ALL engines. Good cooling system maintenance will keep it cool in the summer and give you heat in the winter.

Last edited by dave1123; 02-16-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Pull the block drain plugs at the bottom of each cylinder bank. If no coolant comes out, probe with a screwdriver until it does. This will show you how much rust is inside the block. You may have to run a chemical cleaner thru to system to clean it out. This is best done without a thermostat and with cardboard in front of the radiator to bring it up to temp.

Cooling systems should be flushed out every time you change coolant or at least every 2 years. Pulling the block drains flushes out any accumulated rust in the block. Many people don't bother. Also, if you've got that much rust in the radiator, you should back-flush the heater core as well, and now's a good time to replace ALL the hoses.

These are things that need to be done with ALL engines. Good cooling system maintenance will keep it cool in the summer and give you heat in the winter.
so thisis probably a good way to get all the water out of the block as well. i have a chemical flush in it and have driven it quite a while now. thanks for the help guys!