Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

4wd engages and then disengages almost immediately

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4wd engages and then disengages almost immediately

I have a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the full time AWD & traction control. We just recently were hit with about 10 inches of snow and I thought it would be a great time to test this thing out. What a disappointment... I couldn't really go much of anywhere without a struggle. My tires aren't great but they aren't bald either. My brother had his 2007 JGC in for a couple of days with the A4WD and it did great. I took it too the dealer and they said there were no codes and it seemed to be engaging properly. So, I had a friend at work drive it (he has a 2005 JGC which you have to engage). He agreed it just wasn't right and wouldn't even climb a moderate grade with snow on it. We took them both up the same snow covered hill and there was no comparison. (both of them had similar tread wear and pattern)

I watched it from outside and here is the best way I can describe it. When it detects the back wheels are slipping, the fronts grab for about 3 or 4 seconds and when the vehicle starts to move, they disengage. So basically you are sitting there going back and forth with the fronts pulling and then letting go. Turning off the traction control seems to help a little just because at least you can distribute some power to the fronts for a longer period of time... But, it's certainly what I would expect from a Jeep. My 2003 Envoy will run circles around this thing. Also I can pretty much do a 180 in this thing in a parking lot before I feel the fronts try to grab and when they do, it grinds and sounds horrible. It's been well maintained and has about 104K.

The dealer kind of shrugged it off but I have owned enough 4wd vehicles to know something is wrong.

Thanks! Tom

Last edited by Tom Pitts; 02-06-2014 at 04:34 PM.