Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

350 wj swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default 350 wj swap

As anyone done it? I know it takes alot but just want to know its doable or if there's something better. To convert to, I have a 2001 wj with the 4.7 but it's tired and old. Looking to pick up an 04 with a 4.0 and swap over to something more beefy( I'd be changing everything like lift bumpers tires and tranny transfer case and axels)
So is it doable or is there better options

(v8 power always preferred)
Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 AM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0

350 would be sweet
Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2L

Emissions testing in your area? If so, then a 350 swap ain't happening if you want to keep it street legal. Most states allow you to swap to a different 'brand' motor so long as it's the same model year or newer, and all emissions equipment is carried over, so there would be no 350 SBC in '04 or later to swap into your new rig. That said, an EFI LSx swap would be pretty damn cool and most likely legal, assuming you keep all the smog stuffs. 5.3L truck motors are plentiful and cheap, make good power in stock trim and benefit greatly from little things like cam and exhaust, plus the LSx package is relatively clean and self-contained.

As with any swap you're going to have to fab all your motor mounts/brackets, transmission and transfer case mounts, will probably need new driveshafts, maybe custom linkages for the transmission/t-case shifters, depending on year you'll either need a new throttle linkage or the electronic pedal assembly from the donor vehicle, custom exhaust, custom hydraulic lines for steering, not to mention all the electrical for the new motor, etc etc etc. It's not a small swap that you have in mind.

...OR...

If this is a trail rig only or you don't have emissions testing, you can swap in a carb'd 350 SBC with your choice of transmissions/t-cases, still need a new fuel system for the low pressure carb fueling, custom exhaust, mounts, etc, but the wiring is significantly more simple.

...OR...

Buy yourself a full size Blazer and call it good, lol. Personally though I'd look for a clean Wagoneer with a 360 in it, but that's just me. Always had a thing for the Waggys and FSJs.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2Stangs
Emissions testing in your area? If so, then a 350 swap ain't happening if you want to keep it street legal. Most states allow you to swap to a different 'brand' motor so long as it's the same model year or newer, and all emissions equipment is carried over, so there would be no 350 SBC in '04 or later to swap into your new rig. That said, an EFI LSx swap would be pretty damn cool and most likely legal, assuming you keep all the smog stuffs. 5.3L truck motors are plentiful and cheap, make good power in stock trim and benefit greatly from little things like cam and exhaust, plus the LSx package is relatively clean and self-contained.

As with any swap you're going to have to fab all your motor mounts/brackets, transmission and transfer case mounts, will probably need new driveshafts, maybe custom linkages for the transmission/t-case shifters, depending on year you'll either need a new throttle linkage or the electronic pedal assembly from the donor vehicle, custom exhaust, custom hydraulic lines for steering, not to mention all the electrical for the new motor, etc etc etc. It's not a small swap that you have in mind.

...OR...

If this is a trail rig only or you don't have emissions testing, you can swap in a carb'd 350 SBC with your choice of transmissions/t-cases, still need a new fuel system for the low pressure carb fueling, custom exhaust, mounts, etc, but the wiring is significantly more simple.

...OR...

Buy yourself a full size Blazer and call it good, lol. Personally though I'd look for a clean Wagoneer with a 360 in it, but that's just me. Always had a thing for the Waggys and FSJs.
Haha no to the blazer I'm looking to compete with them and yes to road rig no to emmitions
Old 06-14-2012, 04:18 PM

Year: 1992 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Or.... 98 5.9 limited... bigger engine already in it.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by gs69350
Or.... 98 5.9 limited... bigger engine already in it.

I would prefer a wj and the 5.9 is kind of a ehhh engine if you know what I mean I love Chevy ls and lt series engines and old mopar not really to many mopar 90s engines