Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

3" IRo install (*Not a write up)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" IRo install (*Not a write up)

I installed my 3" IRO lift this weekend. Started at 8:00 a.m. Saturday morning and finished up Sunday morning at 9:00 a..m. 3 naps and sort of a full nights sleep Saturday night. All in all it took about 5 hours to complete the front and 2.5 hours to finish the rear.

Overall, it was a very simple procedure and I sure am glad I decided to pick up those spring compressors. The only thing I had trouble with was the track bar axle side bolt. It snapped on me while removing it. I worked on drilling it out for about 6 hours on Saturday and about an hour on Sunday before I gave up.

I got up at 5:00 a.m. on Sunday to install the rear and thought that I would take it to Tires Plus to have them do the track bar (they used to be open on Sundays) but they were locked up tight. No matter, I was able to take it a shop I actually trust. I drove 5 miles at about 5 mph to get it there and let me tell you... the ride was not fun! I got to experience a load of death wobble at about 10 mph when I let it coast that fast and I do not want to experience it at any speed higher than that... it is how what everyone else explains it is!

Needless to say, I woke up today at 7:00 a.m. (Monday) and drove to the shop, told them what I wanted done, went home got ready for work, drove by the shop at 8:30 a.m. and they had it in the shop. I gave them a call when I got to work and they already had it done. I was quite relieved and kind of pissed. 2 hours labor at $104/hour and of course the alignment. I really wish I was able to get that bolt out, oh well... it's done.

I get to go pick it up tomorrow and I know I will be a happy camper. It looks just like I imagined it would... killer!~...

Don't worry, I'll have pics soon enough!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Well glad everything finally worked out for you, and as you know pictures are a must
Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

The head of my track bar bolt broke off at the axle end also. The mechanic I took it to had to cut the bracket off and then reweld it back on after getting the bolt out. Cost me 210.00. I drove mine to the garage, scared to death, only had to go about 3 miles but I kept pulling over and checking it.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Mine actually broke off, on the inside of the track bar. I think there was about 1/4 inch from the back side into the track bar. I went and got one of those easy out kits and the bits weren't long enough to reach the bolt through the front of the bracket.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:09 PM

Sounds similar to my recent work that I did on an 86 ford
Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Can't wait to see it. I love the way WJ's look lifted.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, 63mm TB, FIPK, Gibson Exhaust

my axle end of the trackbar bolt had also broken, long before the lift. THere is just a welded nut on the back side that you can easily knock off with a cold chisel or air hammer and them just put a new high grade nut and bolt back in it. No need to reweld the bolt either there is room to slip a wrench in the cavity from under neath. I think it cost me 300 bucks to get it fixed but thedealer told me it had to be drilled out and when they were trying to drill it out the nut came off and they said they learned something new. Only charged me for labor fortunately.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Seasoned Member

It's all fixed up... $307.33 later including the alignment. Drove 'er to work today! Little front end wander and some bump steer, but hopefully a HD steering stabilizer will fix that. All in all it feels great to drive. The tires are quiet... actually alot quieter than the crappy Mich's I had on there. It does handle a bit different, it'll take a little getting use to that. My driver's side front shock is making quite a bit of noise (not a clunk, but "rubbing" in the shaft I think only when in city driving. On the highway, it's quiet). I am going to give IRO a call and see what they think about that.

I've got some rubbing at full lock to the right and in reverse turns, but I don't think it's too bad.

I have pics on my camera... unfortunately, my computer at home is down right now and I can't get my USB drive to work here at work. Be patient, I'll get you guys some pictures, I want to see them up on here too!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:22 AM

If there is wander and bump steer take it back to the place that you had the alignment done and tell them your problems. It is their problem to solve since you paid good money for them to do it.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

You think it's an alignment issue?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by UUJ1
You think it's an alignment issue?
Keep in mind a perfect steering setup doesnt need a SS at all and many run without them. If you rely on the SS to fix your problem then when the SS wears out you will be in the exact same boat. I would figure out exactly what is causing those problems and fix it rather then trying to band aid it with a SS.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give them a call and set something up.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by UUJ1
Thanks for the suggestion, I will give them a call and set something up.
let us kno what comes of it
Old 06-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Well, I just talked to Josh at IRO and they're sending me a new shock! It'll be at my house on Thursday. Updated term... it was "creaking" not "rubbing" on extension and contraction.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Did I miss something, what did you need a new shock for?

Quick Reply: 3" IRo install (*Not a write up)