Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

3 inch spacer lift question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 3 inch spacer lift question?

Ok guys I just bought a 95 2 door xj and was thinking on doing the ebay 3 inch spacer lift but wanted to get some opinons on it first .Will it flex ok or will it cause problems?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

it'll flex ok in the front, but what does it come with for the rear? hope it's not a block. lol.

on a side note, 3 inches is a little big for a spacer with stock springs. i had stacked a 2 inch and 1 inch spacer ontop of my R.E. 5.5 coils for a bit till i got my 8 inch coils, worked well, flexed the same, but i had 5.5 inch leafs with 2 inch lift shackles.

if it comes with blocks, i'd skip those and just do a simple bastard pack in the rear, or at least some shackles and a shim.

oh, you will need new shocks and relocate your flex lines. at least.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 AM

Year: 1994

I was just going to shackle the back . Would i need to shim it with just a shackle lift?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 1 slow 87 stang
I was just going to shackle the back . Would i need to shim it with just a shackle lift?
Depends on the rig and driveline angles...I wouldn't be concerned about what the rig has for a lift. You will hopefully plan to replace this down the road anyhow.

As the guy above me mentioned, personally I wouldn't go near any coil spacer past 1.5" but to each his own. 3" spacers will just let you flex like a shopping cart.

Concentrate on the price the rig is being sold for, what you want to pay -- before this obviously overlook the entire vehicle and check for serious damage which will set you many hours or work and cash. AKA rust, shackle mounts rusted apart, floors rusted to hell, etc..
Old 06-17-2010, 03:10 PM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5L

I seen this spacer also..... What would be the con's of using this large of a spacer besides flex?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

i personally would not use any spacers over 2.25"
Old 06-19-2010, 04:27 PM

here is my 2 cents DO NOT DO IT.... 3" is way to high.. first off at 3" or more you need relocation bracket for the track bar. 2nd lower links to stop front housing from floding under, 3rd hard on steering arms and box, 4th spacers just compress the coils so if you put a 3" block in you will git 2 maybe 2 1/2' of lift. jsut buy longer coils.. v8GC coils will give you almost the same lift hight as 3"spacers on a cherokee nad not any of the problems...
I hate spacers and shackels.... I am a do it right or dont do it kind of guy...
shackels that long are jsut going to push you housing foward and not alowing the driveshaft to work right when flexing..... anyway it the cheep way out in the first place but you just pay all the time because you breack stuff...

kits are cheep if you can not get one now save a bit and buy a kit... then its done
Old 06-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by offroad rider
I seen this spacer also..... What would be the con's of using this large of a spacer besides flex?
Alright the cons are you will sag your coil springs quickly ask me how i know..check sig)

what happens is, the spring is allowed to be fully compressed, and since it is spring steel, it wears it out quickly. With a real coil the coil can not compress fully as it will hit bumpstops first.

You can get a new set of 150 lb spring rate coils from rusty's for $100 and they offer an extrememly nice ride. Also, shocks are only like $33 a shock on rusty's. You can do a bastard pack in the rear (s-10, durango and othe various leaf springs which can be had from the JY for cheap).

With 3" you dont need longer brake lines, you dont need different control arms and you may or may not need a shim(jeep by jeep basis).

But understand that 3" is the limit of your stock components.

here is what you WILL need:

coils
shocks
shackle/bastard pack

If you need just a little more lift in the rear dont go over a 1.5" block MAX. infact i am actually selling a 1.5" block with a built in shim.

Try to go leafs if you can

Last edited by 96_xj; 06-19-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:10 PM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by 96_xj
Alright the cons are you will sag your coil springs quickly ask me how i know..check sig)

what happens is, the spring is allowed to be fully compressed, and since it is spring steel, it wears it out quickly. With a real coil the coil can not compress fully as it will hit bumpstops first.

You can get a new set of 150 lb spring rate coils from rusty's for $100 and they offer an extrememly nice ride. Also, shocks are only like $33 a shock on rusty's. You can do a bastard pack in the rear (s-10, durango and othe various leaf springs which can be had from the JY for cheap).

With 3" you dont need longer brake lines, you dont need different control arms and you may or may not need a shim(jeep by jeep basis).

But understand that 3" is the limit of your stock components.

here is what you WILL need:

coils
shocks
shackle/bastard pack

If you need just a little more lift in the rear dont go over a 1.5" block MAX. infact i am actually selling a 1.5" block with a built in shim.

Try to go leafs if you can

Thanks for the answer's ..... I was looking into rusty's or rough country. ( of course a bastard pack) but what about control arms? How bad will my offroading be with out em'?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:08 AM

How bad will my offroading be with out em'?
Lifting your jeep gives you the luxury to expand your jeep's off-road capabilities...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Thanks for the answer's ..... I was looking into rusty's or rough country. ( of course a bastard pack) but what about control arms? How bad will my offroading be with out em'?
I would honestly go Rusty's. RC makes a solid product (if you get what i mean haha).

Rusty's springs are a very very nice ride, and i have zero issues with their shocks in my rig. And my friends have had 0 issues in their rigs as well.

And 3" with stock control arms is the limit. But it will not to to bad. There are alot of people who run them. Run them, and save up for a long arm upgrade is my advice =]
Old 08-05-2017, 03:37 PM

Default dont listen to theese people that are saying dont run 3 inch spacers

i have a 3 inch spacer with stock coils, 3 inch front shocks and rustys fixed lower control arms a custom leaf pack and a shackle relocation with the stock shackles and relocated rear lower shock mounts up to the axle housing. the 3 inch spacer with a stock set of coils will flex really good and ride as nice as stock cause its the same spring rate it will not compress the coil at ride height that is false info the coils will be the exact same length as they would be all stock sitting there at full droop the spacers do not come loose it would be impossible for them to come out of place unless u had long arms then u shld run real lift coils cause the coil will fall out easily drooping it out. i ran every red and black trail at rausch creek with my jeep it has a welded 8.25 open 30 on pretty bald 33s i also run 3 inch spacers on all my strest jeeps the stock coils ride excellent my jeep cherokees ride damn near as nice as my lifted grand cherokees did. All of these jeeps are short arm with 3 inch spacers shocks and lower control arms the white 2 door has a aftermarket track bar as well but that is not necessary drill a hole a half inch over beside the stock hole if your that worried about it i run it in the stock hole drives great doesnt wear tires at all

Old 08-05-2017, 03:42 PM

Default one last thing

ive built and owned over 35 cherokees in the last 15 years theese are trail tested beat the hell out of very rarely break i was not trailering my rig up until last trip 1.5 hr drive each way if that tells u anything runing red and black trails. and go places ppl with fully built rigs on full tread tires arent going. knowing how to drive offroad and what lines to take has a lot to do with everything. i love 3 inch spacers on short arm cherokees cant beat them for the price