Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

3.7 will turn over even after I take hand off key

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 3.7 will turn over even after I take hand off key

I have the strangest problem, when my 07 Grand Cherokee is warm I will turn the key and it continues to turn over the starter even after I take my hand off of the key. If I touch the accelerator, most of the time, it will start. If I don't it will continue to turn over. This is only after it gets warm and when I stop and let it set for 5-10 minutes. I have replaced the starter twice, the battery and the relays for the starter. I just cleaned the throttle bodies and do not get a fault code. I could really use some help please.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I'm pretty sure that is normal if the engine does not start running immediately. The system is designed that you only need to briefly turn the key then release and the computer will keep the starter engaged until the engine is actually running. So your problem is not with the starter but that your engine is having problems starting up when it is warm. Can't help you beyond that.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Really could use help on this, I am afraid to send my daughter back to school in it.