Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2WD Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default 2WD Help

First off, so sue me for having a 2WD Jeep. I don't know how it is here but anybody with 2WD seems to get a lot of flak elsewhere. I'm just looking for some tips, not reasons why I should have gotten a 4WD.

I own a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo; it's my first car and hopefully not my last Jeep. I've had it for a few months and I love it. The only issue is it's 2WD; ignorance is bliss I suppose. My parents and I never took it into consideration, I just needed a vehicle relatively quickly and I saw a decently priced Jeep and jumped on it. Either way, upon discovering this I got worried that I cheated myself out of some decent adventures.

I've read up on transferring from 2WD to 4WD and quickly established that it's much too complicated and expensive to do; so is trading this Jeep in for a 4WD one. I found some posts regarding lockers, and those along with some good tires seem to be my best bet if I want to do anything fun. Problem is I lack car knowledge in general beyond basic stuff (car-dumb female; sorry. Working on it) so most of what is said is going way over my head.

In layman's terms, could someone explain what lockers/no-slips are supposed to do and if they would help at all? Or maybe direct me somewhere that would help? Assuming these lockers are actually helpful, I want to try and get the most bang for my buck; it would take some time to save up but I'd say my ceiling is around $600.

Sorry if this is a dumb question; bear with me.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If it's your daily driver, you're going to want a selective locker, such as an air locker... A full time locked rearend will be a ***** on your tires on the street.

For the record, my current ride and first car is a 2WD Jeep, so feel no shame... You're in good company. ;P

Also, props on using the word layman, good vocabulary's refreshing to see.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 AM

I found an ARB Air Locker; I'm assuming that's what you're referring to. It's pretty expensive though. The only other locker I've looked at so far is the Powertrax No-Slip.

The Jeep is indeed my DD; would a full time locker wear down tires faster on regular streets?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Yep, air lockers aren't cheap, unfortunately. But cheaper than some of your other (non)options you mentioned.

And yes, a full-time locker would cause more wear on your tires...

I guess if you really wanted to, though, you could get away with a Spartan mechanical locker (I mention that brand because it looks high quality and reasonably priced, and vendors on this site offer it) if you didn't accelerate while turning. That's what (I assume) is going to cause the most wear on your tires.

Hmm... I'd go that route, probably -- it's a Jeep, you probably aren't going to be running it through a slalom any time soon. =P
Old 08-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

IF you want my opinion, I would go with a limited slip differential similar to the one Jeep offers as an option. This has a pair of clutch packs that are under a slight preload with springs and one will slip when cornering. If you apply lots of power, they both will lock up.

I've used GM's Positraction units for years and haven't noticed abnormal tire wear at all. (unless you call 4000 rpm hole shots on a dragstrip abnormal!)

I think you can have a lot of fun with a 2WD if you know it's limits and don't get too aggressive. You'll learn it's capabilities over time and experience. Just don't go alone and carry a tow strap.

Your jeep is known as the WJ. With this model, Jeep decided to make it more of a road car with off-road capabilities, rather than the REALLY capable ZJ, which wasn't made after 98. Unfortunally, there isn't as much aftermarket support for the WJ as the ZJ or XJ (Cherokee). If you plan on going off road with it, I would suggest tow hooks and a trailer hitch for recovery.

I'm sure I've get feedback in my opinions, I always do, but a DD with a limited budget, I think an LSD is the way to go. And good tires. An LSD or locker is designed to apply power to BOTH rear wheels when one slips. A locker has the advantage of being positive when engaged, that is locked at all times, like when slow rock crawling. A limited slip only locks in when the situation demands power to the wheel that's got the best traction. I once drove a truck with a Dana locker. I wasn't happy with it because it unlocked with a bang on cornering. I made me nervous. When I told the owner about it, he said that's normal. My experience with the GM Positraction was you don't even know it's there until it gets you out of something. I put my Camero in a ditch one time and drove it out because of the Posi.

Just thinking, I you put aggressive tire on all 4 wheels, nobody would notice it was only 2WD! My personal choice is the General Grabber AT2.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-04-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2WDUnderachiever
Yep, air lockers aren't cheap, unfortunately. But cheaper than some of your other (non)options you mentioned.

And yes, a full-time locker would cause more wear on your tires...

I guess if you really wanted to, though, you could get away with a Spartan mechanical locker (I mention that brand because it looks high quality and reasonably priced, and vendors on this site offer it) if you didn't accelerate while turning. That's what (I assume) is going to cause the most wear on your tires.

Hmm... I'd go that route, probably -- it's a Jeep, you probably aren't going to be running it through a slalom any time soon. =P
The Spartan locker is definitely much more affordable than an ARB, though whichever way I go I'll probably end up spending some money having someone install it. I don't quite trust myself doing it; at least not right now. Ignoring that, my concern now that it has been pointed out is whether or not the locker is okay as a DD. From what I've read...Spartan and Aussie are decent on DD's, but I'm not entirely sure.

Originally Posted by dave1123
IF you want my opinion, I would go with a limited slip differential similar to the one Jeep offers as an option. This has a pair of clutch packs that are under a slight preload with springs and one will slip when cornering. If you apply lots of power, they both will lock up.

I've used GM's Positraction units for years and haven't noticed abnormal tire wear at all. (unless you call 4000 rpm hole shots on a dragstrip abnormal!)

I think you can have a lot of fun with a 2WD if you know it's limits and don't get too aggressive. You'll learn it's capabilities over time and experience. Just don't go alone and carry a tow strap.

Your jeep is known as the WJ. With this model, Jeep decided to make it more of a road car with off-road capabilities, rather than the REALLY capable ZJ, which wasn't made after 98. Unfortunally, there isn't as much aftermarket support for the WJ as the ZJ or XJ (Cherokee). If you plan on going off road with it, I would suggest tow hooks and a trailer hitch for recovery.

I'm sure I've get feedback in my opinions, I always do, but a DD with a limited budget, I think an LSD is the way to go. And good tires. An LSD or locker is designed to apply power to BOTH rear wheels when one slips. A locker has the advantage of being positive when engaged, that is locked at all times, like when slow rock crawling. A limited slip only locks in when the situation demands power to the wheel that's got the best traction. I once drove a truck with a Dana locker. I wasn't happy with it because it unlocked with a bang on cornering. I made me nervous. When I told the owner about it, he said that's normal. My experience with the GM Positraction was you don't even know it's there until it gets you out of something. I put my Camero in a ditch one time and drove it out because of the Posi.

Just thinking, I you put aggressive tire on all 4 wheels, nobody would notice it was only 2WD! My personal choice is the General Grabber AT2.
I wasn't planning on getting too aggressive anyway; I'm new to all of this so I don't want to do something stupid. I'll keep the buddy and tow strap/hook and trailer hitch in mind. Thanks for the tire suggestion as well.

I realize an LSD may not be as effective as a locker, but I'd imagine it's still helpful in a pinch. From what you're saying, both basically do the same thing, but the LSD isn't engaged all the time like the locker. Do you have any brand suggestions?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

So...
Which rear axle do you have?

Is the jeep paid for?

If so I'd sell it and buy a 4wd.
A 2wd wouldn't be of any use at all around here...even if it is locked.

4wd wjs are pretty affordable... I'd seriously consider that route before you dumb cash into a 2wd.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Xj88
So...
Which rear axle do you have?

Is the jeep paid for?

If so I'd sell it and buy a 4wd.
A 2wd wouldn't be of any use at all around here...even if it is locked.

4wd wjs are pretty affordable... I'd seriously consider that route before you dumb cash into a 2wd.
I took a look and I think I have a Dana 35. Jeep is not completely paid for and won't be for at least a year I think.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Sdwndr27

I took a look and I think I have a Dana 35. Jeep is not completely paid for and won't be for at least a year I think.
I wouldn't drop a dime on a d35.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO for a DD/mild trail rig, the Dana 35 is fine. I assume you don't plan on lifting the jeep? 30 inch tires are about the biggest you can fit on a stock jeep and not have tons of rubbing issues. a Dana 35 can stand up to 30 inch tires just fine.

I think a Detroit true-trac would be a good option for you. its a limited slip differential. it does basically the same thing as a locker but the axle shafts arent 100% "locked". as the name implies, it "limits" slip, but still allows for it. you want this in a DD rig because when turning, the wheels will want to turn at different speeds. with a locker, it makes the wheels turn at the same speed, no matter what. this is fine off road, because on dirt and gravel and such, the tires can slip on the surface of the ground.

if you want a true locker, i would strongly suggest a selectable one. ARB air locker or eaton e-locker are a couple options. the ARB is air actuated, whereas the e-locker is electrically actuated. with the ARB locker, you would need an air source to power the locker, usually a small compressor.

personally i think its cool that you want to offroad a 2wd jeep. with good tires and a locker, you can go as far if not farther than a 4x4 with open differentials.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing? If you're just doing some light trail riding, like logging and fire roads, you don't need a locker.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by dnuccio
IMO for a DD/mild trail rig, the Dana 35 is fine. I assume you don't plan on lifting the jeep? 30 inch tires are about the biggest you can fit on a stock jeep and not have tons of rubbing issues. a Dana 35 can stand up to 30 inch tires just fine.

I think a Detroit true-trac would be a good option for you. its a limited slip differential. it does basically the same thing as a locker but the axle shafts arent 100% "locked". as the name implies, it "limits" slip, but still allows for it. you want this in a DD rig because when turning, the wheels will want to turn at different speeds. with a locker, it makes the wheels turn at the same speed, no matter what. this is fine off road, because on dirt and gravel and such, the tires can slip on the surface of the ground.

if you want a true locker, i would strongly suggest a selectable one. ARB air locker or eaton e-locker are a couple options. the ARB is air actuated, whereas the e-locker is electrically actuated. with the ARB locker, you would need an air source to power the locker, usually a small compressor.

personally i think its cool that you want to offroad a 2wd jeep. with good tires and a locker, you can go as far if not farther than a 4x4 with open differentials.
I considered lifting it a tiny bit mostly out of fear of something hitting the undercarriage because as far as I know I don't have a skid plate underneath.
I doubt I'll follow through though.

The Truetrac looks pretty good, and it's reasonably cheap compared to selectable lockers. The fact that it works okay with a DD and is still relatively capable when you need it is definitely a selling point for me. From what I'm seeing the consensus is to get a selectable locker if possible, and if not get an LSD because it wont tear up your tires on the road.

Originally Posted by Bustedback
What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing? If you're just doing some light trail riding, like logging and fire roads, you don't need a locker.
Something like that; maybe a bit rougher. I wasn't planning on rock crawling, deep mud, or steep/slick hills, but I still want to be somewhat capable.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say get some good all terrain tires and take it out wheeling. see how it does, then decide if you really want/need a LSD/locker.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by dnuccio
I would say get some good all terrain tires and take it out wheeling. see how it does, then decide if you really want/need a LSD/locker.
This
Old 08-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

I've done a lot of fire roads, logging trails, and powerline trails with a 2WD pickup with a Posi. The only time I wished I had 4WD was in deep mud.

Jeep uses the same basic unit as the GM Positraction, but IDK what they call it. I've been told the Posi was made by Dana, but I'm not sure about that.

GM seems to have had a love affair with Dana Engineering at one time.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-05-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 2WD Help