Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2004 Jeep GC Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry 2004 Jeep GC Overheating

Hello,
A while ago my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 Limited was overheating. Found out the water pump was leaking and the thermostat was bad. I replaced both of those. My Jeep was still overheating, the mechanic said I needed to replace the radiator, I did that today myself. Filled it up with coolant (with the blood cap off), it only took a gallon and a half (which seems low to me), and it seems like there is a lot of air in there, although I'm not a mechanic and I don't know. I drove it and it's overheating still. Sat the Jeep out to let it cool down, it doesn't seem like it's taking the coolant from the reservoir, and I just checked it because I went to pull it into my buddy's garage and it looks like it went up. Any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:07 AM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Check to see if the thermostat is installed correctely, might be upside down.. Did you replace the hoses that go to the raditor?? does the lower hose have the spring installed in side of it.. If not in can collapse and starve the engine of coolant. an 04 should not have a big build up of crud in the engine, how does the heater work.. does it seem to be hotter then normal.. if not then maybe the gage is bad.. it happens.. Showing overheating when it shouldn't, usually they just don't work... How about the sensor itself???
Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 AM

I didnt't replace any of the hoses, and the lower hose does have a spring installed and it hasnt collapsed. The heater is about the same, but as the temp goes up the so doea the heater.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Are you getting any trouble codes? The fan sensor is cheap, Autozone had a direct replacement, the next thing to check would be the fan solenoid. how quickly does the fan kick on from a cold start? What is the temp when it kicks on?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM

The only trouble codes I got I took to Autozone, it three of them 1. that there were multiple spark plugs out, and the other two where which spark plugs went out. I replaced the spark plugs and I haven't had any codes since. I'm not sure, I hear it getting really loud a little after 210.