Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo oil gauge

Old 01-31-2019, 12:29 PM

Model: Cherokee
Question 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo oil gauge

After driving for a while, when I come to a light and idling in drive. My oil gauge bottoms out, and check engine light comes on. If I put it in neutral and give it 1500 rpm gauge goes back to normal. When I first start the car it doesn't do it. Only after about 5 miles of city driving does it start. Any ideas of what's going on???
Old 01-31-2019, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Don
How many miles/km? Which motor?
Wear in main bearings could go to poor oil pressure at low rpm. Any more than usual noise from motor bottom end. Warm engine will have the widest clearances.
How old is the oil? Old oil can give less pressure.
Did this just start happening, suddenly, or progressively lower?
Does your gauge go to about 3/4 of scale when driving?
Do an oil change and fresh filter. Q State or Valvoline will give good pressure thru the life of the oil. Don't go more than 6200 mi / 10000 km between changes. Always a fresh filter.
Do the change now, what can it cost? $30? Can't hurt.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:57 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0!

One of my 4.7 WJ did this and the next day it threw a rod.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by don309 View Post
After driving for a while, when I come to a light and idling in drive. My oil gauge bottoms out, and check engine light comes on. If I put it in neutral and give it 1500 rpm gauge goes back to normal. When I first start the car it doesn't do it. Only after about 5 miles of city driving does it start. Any ideas of what's going on???
Mine was doing the same thing. It's now in the shop getting a rebuilt engine.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:05 AM

peep
It has a 4.0 and 120,000 miles. I did hear what I thought was a belt noise. The oil is about 5,000 miles old. I put synthetic in it last time. No the gauge just goes back to normal 1/2 way. When you say wear you mean the oil pump right. So I should use regular oil? I heard different things about oil filter what brand would you use?
Old 02-01-2019, 03:31 PM

Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Before we all get excited here, I'd make sure it isnt the oil pressure sensor. I wonder how engine temp affects this? Does it do it when the engine is cold or at operating temperature?
Old 02-01-2019, 06:35 PM

Well it was 15o out to day, drove about 9 miles city driving. Okay going motor was still warm for the return trip, made it half way and it started again.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:25 PM

Well today I did an oil and filter change. No help guess I'll try the oil pressure sending sensor. I can't seem to the part, any help would be appreciated. On a fixed income and trying to do things myself. It's a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L NA I6 overhead valves (OHV) 12V 121,000 miles
It did this last year, and after an oil change & filter it stopped.
But not this time

Last edited by don309; 02-03-2019 at 05:05 PM. Reason: needing help
Old 02-09-2019, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Hi Don,
If it did this last year and the engine hasn't yet lunched, then sounds strongly like a sensor issue.
If it is truly worn bearings your engine should be shaken, tickin, and knockin leaving no doubt that the internals are failing.
If worn out inside you should see lots of metal particles during your oil changes.
Is your engine barking at you like a mad dog?
Insure your connection at the sensor is very clean and you are not loosing signal to the gauge.
121K mi on a 4.0 is barely just broken in.
The sensor on our 95 4.0 ZJ failed and sprung a leak, oil pissing out, just pulled it and put in 1/8npt plug. Sensor just above oil filter and easy to change with crescent wrench or adjustable wrench.
New sensor here is $80 CDN. In USA should cost about 1/2. Check local costs with your Napa and other parts stores.
For filters, any filter will be fine, lots and lots of filter bashing on many forums and yutubes. For me cheap filters work fine, yes the dreaded "Fram". Keep in mind I am high mileage, and my vehicles are too, lol, and I change oil monthly. Have three 4.0L jeeps, 760K km, 440K km, 385K km, all still tickin, fartin, buckin, and chewin up the roads daily. Keep your oil clean and change the filter every time, longevity is a by product of clean oil. You can purchase a better filter but it is not mandatory. Change your oil around 6000mi.
No problem using synthetic oils. I only use on my wife's new car (oil change with filter is 3.8L). My jeeps get changes more frequently and I use conventionals (4.0L oil change is 6L with filter).
Old 02-09-2019, 01:40 PM

Thanks peeps, and all that helped. I ordered the sensor, and drove the jeep searingly. I got caught in a lot of traffic, and the gauge never moved. That's all after 2 days of changing the oil. All is good for now, next oil change I'll put the sensor in. Again thank you all for helping!!!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I just had a thought. Somewhere in the production of the WJ, they decided to make the oil pressure sensor a switch instead of a variable sensor. When I bought a NAPA sensor it only showed 40 psi all the time, no variance in pressure between cold or hot. I went to my dealer and bought a Mopar sensor. That's when I found out about the switch instead of the sensor. When I changed my original sensor, it broke and I saw it had a crystal and printed circuit in it. I'll bet that cost more to make. So, when you buy the new one, ask for one from a 2000.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

My 2004 with the 4.0 motor did exactly the same thing for about a year, until the gauge finally just stopped working and stayed on the low side. I went to Napa, bought a oil pressure sending unit for around $15 or so, the oil sender socket for another $8 and went home and installed it, and it's been fine since. Don't panic. Remember, keep it simple, don't over complicate it until you need to. Blueseasons was the first to show a little common sense and suggest the oil pressure sender. Start there. It's a little awkward to reach, but it's not impossible to replace. Passenger side, low, further back than the oil filter, almost to the back of the motor. If you can't reach the clip for the wiring connector, turn/rotate the oil sender half a turn so you can see and reach better. Half a turn won't hurt anything, there's plenty of play in the wiring there.