Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2004 Grand Cherokee Evap Coil Replace

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2004 Grand Cherokee Evap Coil Replace

Hello-

We have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V-8.

My wife was rearended and pushed into vehicle in front of her. Basically sandwiched.

Anyway, now the A/C doesn't work properly and Jeep dealer says the evaporator coil is leaking.

Of course - insurance says it's not covered under the accident.

Anyway- Need to know the procedure for changing the evaporator coil ourselves. Or even if this is feasible.

I see Ol Blue has sent a procedure via PM to other users.

Please help/advise. We live in Florida and it'll be getting hot soon.

Thanks
Steve & Dana in Ocala
Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. If the front of your vehicle was damaged, I think you mean the AC condensor, in front of the radiator, was damaged, not the evap coil which is inside a housing behind the dashboard.
This tells you how to replace the condensor:>http://www.ehow.com/how_5899204_repl...-cherokee.html
If it is in fact the evap coil, the Private Message I sent will explain the repair steps.

Last edited by ol"blue; 01-25-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Welcome to CF. If the front of your vehicle was damaged, I think you mean the AC condensor, in front of the radiator, was damaged, not the evap coil which is inside a housing behind the dashboard.
This tells you how to replace the condensor:>http://www.ehow.com/how_5899204_repl...-cherokee.html
If it is in fact the evap coil, the Private Message I sent will explain the repair steps.
Hello-

Yeah - no - I do mean the evaporator coil. The condensor was covered and already repaired. The evaporator coil is behind the dash and not covered. We need to replace the evaporator coil now. I appreciate the help ol' blue.

We are used to working on old stuff and my buddy says this job is too much for us.

Steve in Ocala
Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Glad to be of help.
Lots have done the repair themselves, stating it's not really difficult, just time consuming. You know, after reading the info, whether you want to tackle it or not. Good luck either way.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Glad to be of help.
Lots have done the repair themselves, stating it's not really difficult, just time consuming. You know, after reading the info, whether you want to tackle it or not. Good luck either way.
Still may attempt this job, two problems are my wife needs vehicle daily and as I've stated before... my buddy and I are neanderthal mechanics who work with axes and broken sticks and he's afraid of "all that little plastic *****" heh heh

As far as time consuming - we don't really have that either - in our spare, we are working on a '58 Plymouth body swap for the past month. Now that he's not afraid of.

We are still trying to convince "the Gecko" that the damage is accident related.

But like I said, I may end up doing it without my buddy's help.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Most have reported back that it takes a good day, or two half days to complete the job. I've never done it on a Jeep vehicle, so I can't give any short cuts or tips, other than to read over the info before hand thoroughly. Oh, and I think some people have left some tips in previous posts in this thread: >https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/c-e...17364/index64/