Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2004 grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2004 grand Cherokee

When I start my Jeep it’s starts running rough my idle jumps pas 1000 rpms and goes up and down as if it’s gonna stall out and then when the engine warms it calms down than every now and then when I get to a stop sign or red light it’s starts running rough again and when I take off it spits like it doesn’t wanna drive what could be my problem I got it scanned and no misfire codes came up
Old 02-17-2019, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

From the described symptoms I's most suspect the IAC Idle Air Control Valve/Motor, located upon the throttle body.
One electrical connect and two torx drive screws to remove. Easy on that o ring, you will need it for reinstall.
Treat the internal pintle gently, but clean the probable dirty build up with alcohol scrub and brother in law's tooth brush.
You can us the in laws Devils Cut Whisky as the alcohol, better results than letting him drink it.
Put the tooth brush back in his night stand afterwards.
A new one cost $75 cdn at Napa, much less in the USA. Dispose of old one in brother in laws sock drawer, it will improve the smell.

If it's not that a fuel pressure test would help diagnosis, should have 40+ psi, low pressure can still run but be more prone to fuel line vaporisation issues, say sitting idling at red light?
Temperature sensor can also provide that intermittent roughness but usually throw a code.
Be interested in your findings.