Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2002 JGC Transmission trouble..how to test shifting solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default 2002 JGC Transmission trouble..how to test shifting solenoids?

hey all, I have a 2002 jgc laredo with the 4.0l v6. A few days ago we noticed the smell of transmission fluid when my wife returned home. A few days after that my wife complained about the transmission slipping or jerking while accelerating from a stoplight. The next day I took it for approximately an 80 mile roundtrip and noticed nothing other than a mild transmission oil smell. The next morning my wife started the jeep up to find the check engine light on. The code was PO740. After reading on some posts, we decided to try and change the transmission filter and fluid. On the way to the store (approximately 35 mile trip) towards the end of the trip the vehicle kicked out of OD, and pressing the OD on/off switch did nothing. After shutting car off for awhile the vehicle seemed to operate normally. Then 15 miles left to go on our return the transmission over temp light came on. I shut the car off to let it cool then proceeded with caution home. Once home, changed fluid and filter in the tranny and took for a test drive. Approximately 7 miles from home the vehicle began to jerk in and out of gear upon acceleration. Once again let vehicle cool, began to head home, the vehicle slipped out of gear again. I turned the OD off and put vehicle in 2nd and made it home ok. I changed the TPS (throttle position sensor) only to take it approx 20 miles before the transmission kicked out of OD. I was about 2 miles from home, once home I put the vehicle in reverse and heard a clunking sound and vehicle would not move backwards. Put the vehicle in gear drove forward, placed in park, raised garage door to pull in, put vehicle in gear and it would not move in any gear. Turned off vehicle again started it and it went into gear just fine and pulled into garage. Now the check engine light is back on what do I do next??? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.