Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2000 grand cherokee idling issues + more....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 grand cherokee idling issues + more....

hey guys, i posted this same topic over at jeepforums and was advised to replace my TPS. did that and still having issues, so im going to try the IAC next. i'll just put the link to the other topic here to make it easier...please read it all and look at what happens in the video. i want my jeep to run smoothly!! thanks

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...-help-1469320/
Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM

I have to admit that TPS would of been my first guess as well but this is really leaning towards the IAC now. I have had vacuum leaks cause similar problems but they were on carb cars. Just to make sure its not a $5 fix I would start your jeep and spray starting fluid on all vacuum lines. If your RPMs rise at the same moment then you could have a vacuum leak. Problems really lean towards the TPS or IAC though.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by blownsnake
I have to admit that TPS would of been my first guess as well but this is really leaning towards the IAC now. I have had vacuum leaks cause similar problems but they were on carb cars. Just to make sure its not a $5 fix I would start your jeep and spray starting fluid on all vacuum lines. If your RPMs rise at the same moment then you could have a vacuum leak. Problems really lean towards the TPS or IAC though.
yea and from what people have said i shouldve bought a mopar tps instead of a cheap one from autozone....so i think what i'm going to do is replace the IAC and try to eliminate that as a problem. although now im stuck on whether or not to buy an expensive one or try to get the best deal...real tight on cash right now...

one more thing, everything ive read about bad tps and iac valves have talked about all of the symptoms ive been experiencing EXCEPT the part where sometimes when i accelerate (99% of the time its after feeling that really rough jerk/pull while driving) up to around 50-55 mph and my car approaches 3000 rpms (way too high for that speed???), it starts to violently 'bounce' but not speed up at all. the rpms hit just about 3000, bounce down like 200 then jump back up and continue to do this if i stay on the gas. i have to let off and i just cant go any faster than that when my car does this. is that something that could be caused by any of these problems or do i have something bigger and more expensive happening?

i tried to show this problem with a video in that other thread considering how little i know about this type of stuff really impairs my ability to even describe the symptoms.

lemme know what you think, and thanks again for looking/helping! i've had more progress in about 2 days then i have with taking my car to 2 different shops about 4 other times (for other, different problems but i explain this issue every time and they seem to always look over it). thanks again
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM

Default I got screwed by battery warehouse, Help

So I went to battery warehouse to get new battery cables. They backfed something and when it was done my radio didn't work and all my guages, spedometer and idiot lights don't work. Of course they denied they did wrong. I found a blown fuse which fixed my radio. All the other fuses checked out good with my test light. All the fuses in my relay box checked with my test light. So any help of what to do next would be great. I would check relays but I don't know how. Maybe a sensor was blown? Don't know how to check those either. I appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
Matthew
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by blownsnake
Instead of using starting fluid, which is dangerous, try using a propane torch (NOT LIT) to find vacuum leaks. The propane will get sucked into any leaks and cause a surge in engine speed. This is great for finding intake manifold leaks. It won't harm plastic lines either. Gasoline or starting fluid can start fires.

Oh! also remember WD40 is flammable!

Last edited by dave1123; 02-06-2013 at 02:25 AM.