Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2000 grand cherokee 242 t/c

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 grand cherokee 242 t/c

if i jack the rear tires off the ground with in FULL time 4x4 the rear tires will just spin. put it down and into part time 4x4 (drive 20 feet back and forth first) and with rear tires off the ground it moves.

does the t/c just have an open diff in it or does it have clutches like a posi rear would have?
doing this test if it has clutches then they are warn out.right?????

or should i of jacked one side of the jeep up and seen if one front and one rear tire turned in full time?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

As far as I know, it has an open differential in it for full time 4WD. In part-time this differential is bypassed and both axles will drive at the same speed. It seems for some reason the diff lock-up isn't working. I've owned 2 jeeps with the 242 t/c but never got inside one yet. Can you get it into 4WD low? You have to push down on the stick to get it to go into 4 low. Shift the trans into neutral or park first.

I've never had to move the vehicle to get the t/c to shift from 2 to 4 full or 4 partime. 4 low is a trick because it has to go thru a neutral first and if the input shaft is spinning, it will grind if the two shafts aren't the same speed or stopped.

Jack up both tires on one side and with the engine stopped, try to turn the front wheel by hand when in full time. You shouldn't be able to. If you can, see if the front driveshaft turns. If it does, it's the transfer case not engaging.

Last edited by dave1123; 01-22-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 AM

so basically everything is working. i have a new Subaru and it will drive circles around this jeep. theres a dirt hill and it was freezing rain and the jeep got stuck. thats why i though the 4x4 wasnt engaging.it will spin one tire in full time and one front and one rear tire in lock. the subaru will just drive around on the same hill like its concrete!
it seems the open diff in the t/c works the same as a diff in axle. one tire spins and no power goes to the other. so if any one tire looses traction the truck gets stuck in full time. its better in part time(lock) but still have almost no fward motion on that hill.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yeah, you got it right. The only thing better is to put a locker in the rear diff. Then you get 3 spinning on ice! I was out last night on my route in about 4 to 5 inches of lake-effect snow and it drove better in full-time than part-time, until the plows came thru. Then it was ice and I was all over the road! Did I ever tell you how much I hate ABS brakes? With that snow, it was 2*F and 20+ mph wind! Driving around with the window open delivering newspapers, the defroster was not enough to keep the left top corner of the windshield from freezing up and smearing ice right where I needed to see. After the plows, any downhill stop activated the ABS and I'd slide right by the mailboxes! I guess I shouldn't complain. I could punch right into a 2 foot snowdrift and drive right out. My boss has a right hand drive Subaru Legacy wagon and he couldn't do that.

All in all, I trust my Jeep to get the job done in any weather. The winter of 2011, I put my ZJ into a ditch on about a 45* angle, put it in 4 lo, and drove it right out.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:25 PM

i think the only difference between the 1013 Subaru and the jeep in my situation is the subaru has a better computer for traction control and stopping the tire off the ground from spinning. this jeep has abs but nothing else.
my 87 cherokee that i plow my driveway with hasnt missed a beat in 15 years.