Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1999 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited Front Drive Shaft Problems

Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited Front Drive Shaft Problems

Hey guys. My front drive shaft AKA propshaft with the CV boots on one end has gone out on me. Its making noise, and needs to be worked on.

I bascially have narrowed down to 3 options:

1) Buy a Tom Woods UJOINT style Shaft

2) Get this kit and do it myself:

http://www.driveshaftparts.com/cv-jo.../prod_430.html

3) Take it down to the local drive line shop and let them fix it for 200 bucks.

I'm leaning toward number 2, but have you guys ever seen a kit like this and would it fix my problem? My jeep is a Daily Driver that I use for snowboarding, not off roading and its not lifted, so I'm not worried about abusing the sucker. Number 1 goal is CHEAP RELIABLE FIX in that order.

Thanks!

--shawn
Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Choice #2 would be the cheapest alternative. But not the route I took.
When faced with this dilemma on my '97 ZJ I replaced the CV type shaft with the pinion-yoke and u-joint shaft from another year ZJ. It has a slip-joint w/grease fitting in the middle of the shaft.
Both ZJ and WJ use the D30 front axle, so it is likely you can use the same fix as I did and be done with the CV joint permanently, and relatively cheap. JMO
Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the advice ol'blue.

I can see why you went that route - u-joints sound like the way to go!

I'm worried that if I rebuild the cv on the drive shaft I will have a similar problem soon, or maybe it will work silently for another 150K. Who knows.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

I didn't want to have that problem again on my ZJ.
My '04 Grand (WJ) w/4.7L V8 and the Quadra-Trac II system has the double cardan and u-joint shaft and not the CV type shaft. It has a bolt-on yoke at the t-case and the front diff. How is yours attached at the t-case? Maybe you could use one of these shafts?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 AM

Hey,

The front of the prop shaft has a longer cv boot that has forward and backward flex as well as side to side:

The part that connects to the transfer case looks like this:

This is the part that is bad on mine. I opened it up last night an its dry as a bone inside.

My theory is that this is the end closest to the ENGINE therfore gets the most force - its prolly getting TWEAKED by the tcase when the energy hits the driveline.

Its 75 bucks for this so I went ahead and ordered one. My front seems fine, but if i have more problems I might shell out the $400 for a nice double u joint.

Also, if you on a SUPER budget - it looks like after prying the top off the gold cover, you could pack it full of grease and hope you get another 10K out of it.... IMHO.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

I understand that, but the part that the upper CV bolts to, does it bolt to the t-case out-put shaft? I'm wondering if you could use the same double cardan u-joint shaft that's in my '04 WJ?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Default I have one too..

Had a stick tear open the front boot on the front drive shaft. I need one ASAP... anybody know where to get one? I've struck out at NAPA, Auto-Zone, eBay, quadratec.... vacation time, urgent to get this rig repaired fast! TIA!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Choice #2 would be the cheapest alternative. But not the route I took.
When faced with this dilemma on my '97 ZJ I replaced the CV type shaft with the pinion-yoke and u-joint shaft from another year ZJ. It has a slip-joint w/grease fitting in the middle of the shaft.
Both ZJ and WJ use the D30 front axle, so it is likely you can use the same fix as I did and be done with the CV joint permanently, and relatively cheap. JMO
I did it
Old 05-19-2010, 10:09 PM

Cool

Your best option is to go to a junk yard and find all the right parts. You can "fix" the CV joint, but it's kind of a waste of time. It will come apart again.

You need the yoke off the t-case(pretty much any Jeep NP case), the yoke off the front axle(pretty much any Jeep D30), and the drive shaft from ether a Grand, or a Cherokee. The u joints will all be the same size so no worries there. You can eliminate both CV joints at the same time, and it will solve all your problems. In fact, I may even have the yoke you need for the case. What case do you have? Im pretty sure it's a 242? You will have to have the shaft lengthened, but that should be about it if you get one with good joints.