Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

1998 ZJ dash lights, climate control, shifter lights OUT

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 ZJ dash lights, climate control, shifter lights OUT

I've got this same aggravating issue -- NO dashlights. I've gone thru TWO headlight/dimmer/fog switch assemblies, re-soldered the cracked terminals as per:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-heavy-702703/

Still no dashlights.

I checked the dashlight bulbs -- they're OK. Plus, I've seen them flash briefly while driving. Running lights work. I examined ALL the fuses in the passenger kick-panel, incl the "cluster fuse" -- OK. Same thing for fuse block under the hood -- all OK.

Funny thing, the climate control lights DON'T work. I examined the bulbs, they're OK. ??

The dimmer switch will change intensity of:

odometer, radio display

I even dis-connected the 3 wire harnesses from BCM, opened it up, examined for any broken terminals -- they're OK. I jiggled many connectors (esp the 1 going to the headlight/dimmer/fog switch) -- NADA

GET THIS:
There are 2 small illumination bulbs in headlight/dimmer/fog switch assembly. The one above the headlight switch has burn marks in the white plastic (due to heat), it still glows. The other one (next to dimmer switch) does NOT glow. But, I tested it with ohmmeter -- it's OK.

I forgot to mention that other illumination bulbs aren't working:

shifter PND12
4WD (turns out bulb burned out, replaced..but still doesn't illuminate)

I found another thread which has the SAME symptions -- NO dash lights, climate control lights, shifter lights:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...-work-1397947/

I'm getting the feeling that I have a bad BCM.

But, it's a 1998 model where I'm hearing is MATCHED to the PCM (if security enabled).
Old 03-02-2017, 10:41 PM

When I was tasked to find an issue like this most of the times it turned out to be:
A faulty soder point in back of a circuit board (like behind the instrument panel)
A bad plug connection.
A pinched wire bundle.
A faild PCM.

After a visual inspections we perform a wiggle test lookng for a reaction to isolate. First we power up the component or system. Then unless we suspect a specific area we systematically start wiggling the wire harness paying attention to bends and pinch points, connectors, around the fuse boxes, etc.

I have found open circuits behind the instrument panel by pressing on the front to see if I can get any light to iilluminate of filcker, sometimes a solder connections in the back cracks away from the circuit board, pushing on it can close the circuit making the light illuminate. Yeah, the guy at that link just needs to fool around with the circuit until he isolates what making his lights flicker.

If that can!t find the fault it is time to get out the test light.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I now realize the illumination bulbs for the

rear wiper/D switch/Rear defroster

are OUT! I unplugged it, there are physical connectors like the headlight switch. I re-soldered them..no go.

The Ash tray light isn't working, the bulb looks OK. The Cigarette lighter outer ring doesn't illuminate either.

The circuit diagram seems to implicate BCM is controlling panel lights (see attachment). Could it be a bad BCM?

I wiggled all the connectors (below the steering wheel). Pulled the radio. Checked the amplifier (under rear passender seat)

I did notice a U Haul trailer plug. Is it possible the previous owner did some towing & damaged the light circuitry??

The infamous stalling issue for ZJs seem to implicate bad connections at PCM. Failed solder joints.
Attached Thumbnails 1998 ZJ dash lights, climate control, shifter lights OUT-screen-shot-2017-03-02-5.26.40-pm.png  
Old 03-03-2017, 04:11 PM

Yes, I would use test lights to see if power was getting to the BCM. If it was receiving power I would test to see if power was exiting. Then I would know which direction to trace, or look for an open ground.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by tony270
Yes, I would use test lights to see if power was getting to the BCM. If it was receiving power I would test to see if power was exiting. Then I would know which direction to trace, or look for an open ground.
When I plug in the BCM, the floor courtesy lights come on BRIGHT. This seems to imply BCM is getting power.

When I pull "cluster" fuse (in passenger kick panel), the floor courtesy lights go OUT.

What I'm trying to figure out is what the "lamp driver" circuit is -- it appears MULTIPLE times in about diagram. Is it the silver rectangular object in headlight switch? See attached pic
Attached Thumbnails 1998 ZJ dash lights, climate control, shifter lights OUT-07.jpeg  
Old 03-03-2017, 04:34 PM

After doing the re-solder headlight switch mod, I drove it around. The dashlights flickered 1 time, so this implies some sort of mechanical connection gremlin

Where is the chassis ground connection under the dash?
Old 03-03-2017, 04:51 PM

I would think that is a micro capacitor. What mod are you doing?
Old 03-03-2017, 05:12 PM

I see the mod never mind. I would still trace the power, look under the the driver side dash on side, firewall, or steering column for a ground, but I don't know exactly. Don't give up, but it is harder to isolate the issue with defective electrical components in the system, if you can trace the power, and the continuity of the ground, defective part wouldn't matter because you could test them out.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:42 AM

I confirmed 12v (Pin 9) going to headlight switch

I found out there were 2 rear #194 bulbs (on each side) were burned out..replaced them with LED bulbs. However, still no dashlights (or other panel lights). I read somewhere taillight failures automatically blacked out dash lights

I removed the top & bottom covers for the steering wheel, & checked the connectors.

I found a disconnected hose to the silver vacuum thing just below HVAC panel..re-connected it.

Did another pass at the connectors & wire-bundles under steering wheel.

Disconnected, cleaned, re-connected the ground strap to firewall (under the hood, near transmission dipstick)

That ashtray light bulb (which doesn't light), how does it get "triggered" to turn on?? The adjacent cigarette lighter plug -- the ring light doesn't come on..??

Went thru the passegner kick panel fuse box. Found one labelled HBL (what does it stand for), replaced it .. no go.

I've about done all I could.

I found this good thread on electrical for ZJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/

I'm going to the junkyard & getting another BCM & headlight switch.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:50 PM

Default SOLVED

Replaced BCM (from junkyard) from a '98.

OMG, the dashlights work!! Along with illumination in headlight switch, climate control, gear indicator (PNRD12), 4WD indicator
Old 01-05-2024, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, at least someone with the same issue!

I´ḿ writting from Spain, I've a 98 ZJ with the VM Diesel engine and I've this issue:

First started with the dash, I lost all the information, the gauges... except the ABS light (diferent fuse, fuse 5 instead of fuse 7) and the retroilumination, but everything works, also the cruise control, but no light, no info.
Then I lost the electric windows and the sound amplifier.Finally I lost the retroilumination from the dash, and also from the climate control...

To add a bad thing, sometimes everything works properly, could be 1 or 2 times a month, but sometimes works...

So, can I solve it only changing the BCM? Should I change also de PCM, to avoid security issues?

Thanks a lot!
Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by M3NS0
Wow, at least someone with the same issue!

I´ḿ writting from Spain, I've a 98 ZJ with the VM Diesel engine and I've this issue:

First started with the dash, I lost all the information, the gauges... except the ABS light (diferent fuse, fuse 5 instead of fuse 7) and the retroilumination, but everything works, also the cruise control, but no light, no info.
Then I lost the electric windows and the sound amplifier.Finally I lost the retroilumination from the dash, and also from the climate control...

To add a bad thing, sometimes everything works properly, could be 1 or 2 times a month, but sometimes works...

So, can I solve it only changing the BCM? Should I change also de PCM, to avoid security issues?

Thanks a lot!
Hi M3NS0,
did you finally try to replace your BCM? did it work?

I hope so!
Old Yesterday, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it works!

We had to replace with 3 different BCM, but finally it works.

Now I´ve another issues, bit I´ve gone to the land with it and it was very funny and I´m very happy.
The following users liked this post:
Karrask (Yesterday)